What's new

Wireless Buying Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dahyippur

Occasional Visitor
Hello! I'm going to retire my faithful wrt54g and get something with better wifi speeds in my small apartment. This is a low economy project so I've been looking around to see what people like to use in a pinch. So far I've been directed towards the archer c7, hAP ac lite, and asus ac68u. I'm leaning towards the asus based on reliability/personal bias, but have never dealt with the others. I have 100/10 cable internet with a pc and a few android devices, if anyone has a few pocket picks for the poverty stricken I'd love to hear about it :D

Hello! I'm going to retire my faithful wrt54g and get something with better wifi speeds in my small apartment. This is a low economy project so I've been looking around to see what people like to use in a pinch. So far I've been directed towards the archer c7, hAP ac lite, and asus ac68u. I'm leaning towards the asus based on reliability/personal bias, but have never dealt with the others. I have 100/10 cable internet with a pc and a few android devices, if anyone has a few pocket picks for the poverty stricken I'd love to hear about it :D
<LOL> I loved my old WRT54G! I'd probably still have it if I hadn't gotten an Asus N66U for "free". What an eye opening experience! Recently upgraded from 5 Mbps DSL to 100/10 Mbps cable (like you) and got an Asus AC1900P (like a 68u) to go with it; have been very happy. (If I had the money I would have considered an 86U but the 1900 was on sale for $99.)

One (of several things) that drew me to Asus was the built-in traffic monitor. Hopefully you never need it but I've found it useful for trouble shooting and problem solving.

Last edited:
Just about any AC1200 class or higher router should work fine for you.

Do you have a price range? The Archer C7 you mentioned is $69.99 at Walmart. That will work just fine in a small apartment.

I have the Asus RT-AC1900p in my small place. Got it for $90 on sale at BestBuy last year. I probably wouldn’t have spent much more than that, especially for my small home network.

Just flashed a cheap tmac1900 that came in the mail today everything looks good so far. What a difference, wired and wireless almost 2x faster, gui looks pretty slick, lets hope it lasts. Thanks for the help guys!