What's new

Wireless Extender or Repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

overhauled101

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using an Asus RT-AC68U and am looking to get some better coverage in my house. Should I buy another AC68U and use it as a repeater or pick up an extender?

Wireless Repeater / Extender vs. Access Point ?

There is a downside to using a repeater vs. using an access point (or setting a device in repeater vs. access point mode), however - it essentially halves your wireless bandwidth, as it has to use it to communicate with both your main AP and the clients. Although range extenders/repeaters reach areas beyond the range of the central router, they also bounce back all the router's traffic, creating congestion and slowing the network.

Either would get the job done just at the cost of halving your avail bandwidth!;)

That's what I was trying to decide on whether I wanted to run cable throughout the house to another AP or just suck it up with the the loss of bandwidth. I think I will be alright with losing some bandwidth as I don't know if I have the patience to run the cable through the house!

Using a repeater is generally a last resort. The loss of bandwidth is often times more than 50%. This is especially true if you have multiple client devices communicating wirelessly at once. Have you thought about using your in house COAX cabling or even your power outlets to run Ethernet through (with the appropriate adapter)? I would try that first if running a CAT5 cable is out of the question. If I had to go wirelessly I would use a wireless bridge and then connect an access point at the far end. That way your not having to use a repeater in the equation.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that the speed penalty will be for all wireless devices on the network if any device is using the repeater. It will not be just for the devices that connect to the repeater.

Also keep in mind that the speed penalty will be for all wireless devices on the network if any device is using the repeater. It will not be just for the devices that connect to the repeater.
Why would this be true?

Why would this be true?
A repeater (WDS/Extender...) retransmits. So for each 802.11 data frame leaving a router or leaving the client, there are two, not one transmissions. Or more if dare daisy-chain WDS repeaters.

Each transmission has to wait for clear-channel then transmit. Clear channel means the RF channel and its upper/lower channel neighbors are not transmitting.