What's new

Wireless N USB Adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdibber

Occasional Visitor
I understand to get best performance one should pair the router and client (hope that is correct terminology) using the same mfg. I'm thinking of replacing a few old wireless B PCI cards with wireless N usb adapters and upgrading to a wireless n router.

The USB adapters are expensive!! A few of them cost as much as the router. I was leanning towards a Belkin N+ until I saw the cost of the USB adapter. egads.

Q1: Generally speaking, is there a USB adapter that 'plays' better with other mfg's routers?

Q2: Are recert/refurb adapters problematic? They are almost 1/2 the price of new.

Q3: For future proofing, I was only looking at dual band USB adapters. Will dual band USB adapters work equally well on single band routers?

Thanks!

You don't really have to match manufacturers or model families on N routers and clients. It's just not practical and the technology has matured so that it's not absolutely necessary.

I've had good luck with refurb computers. But never tried adapters. I'd be careful unless its coming directly from the manufacturer of the product. I wouldn't touch returned product from retailers.

Yes, Dual-band adapters will work fine with single band routers.