What's new

Wireless recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Digitald00d

Regular Contributor
I’m still doing digging and research but thought I’d throw this out in hopes of some quick insight from you experts. My current setup is giving me grief so I’m looking for possible alternatives. Not looking for long drawn out explanations, mainly what most are using or recommend in the situation I have.

My situation: I currently have two ASUS AC68U/P routers. One is setup as a ROUTER; One is setup as a REPEATER. RTR is in out building. REP is in the house. The RTR and REP connect via 5G. Clients connect to the REP via Ethernet, 2G and 5G.
Similarly, I’m trying to find a router(s) that can do this multipurpose function rather than getting a router and extender whereas the extender is only just that. And hopefully, it won’t break my bank.

Looking forward to any recommendations you may have.
Thanks!

Maybe you need to look at separate router and wireless devices. Once you take the wireless out of the router you are not limited.

Maybe you need to look at separate router and wireless devices. Once you take the wireless out of the router you are not limited.

Trying to understand. Are you suggesting instead of having two devices in the system, separate the functions out and have four devices, ultimately performing the same function as the two are now?

Trying to understand. Are you suggesting instead of having two devices in the system, separate the functions out and have four devices, ultimately performing the same function as the two are now?

Well your second router only functions as a wireless AP. So I am not sure why you would need a second router. It is actually a waste of money to buy a second router. To have what you have now 1 wired router and 2 wireless APs. Depending on what you buy you may need a small switch. Is the plan to sell what you have and move on? I assume since it is not working you want a different brand. Are you looking at long range wireless? If you can run wire, wire is always better than wireless. If you can run wire you can backhaul a wireless unit out there. I think it is much simpler to have your wireless bridge of 2 networks separate from the rest of the network. It is much simpler to trouble shoot.