What's new

Wireless Router built for distance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oso

New Around Here
Hello!

New to this site and network building so any information/advise is greatly appreciated! I work for a really small company (me and 3 other people not counting the boss) and we're trying to set up a wireless network in our warehouse which is really long and narrow. I'm not sure exactly the length but I can find that out. Anyway, we had 1 wireless router set up in the middle of the warehouse, but the signal drops significantly as we reach the ends of the warehouse. We then tried putting in 2 wireless routers eliminate the dead zone but then the middle of the warehouse had really bad signal and we didn't like how it had switched networks (SSID's) when we moved about the warehouse. It caused a lot of problems when doing inventory. So I was wondering if it is advisable to set up a wireless router at one end of the warehouse (or in the middle) and the add several access points through out the length of the warehouse. Or is there any other equipment out in the market that can help me solve the distance problem? Any information would be greatly appreciated and explained in simple terms because I'm not very network savy. Thanks!

one network, one router and 0-n access points (APs).

If the warehouse has lots of shelving and isles, you may need several APs to penetrate the isles. Put the APs on the ceiling. Run the APs cat5 cables to an ethernet switch, then the switch to the one router.

It may simplify if you buy power over ethernet APs so the power can come down the cat5 cables. The "real" IEEE defined PoE is 802.3af and it's found in a few APs. Many APs have power over ethernet but not per the IEEE standard. These have a mating power inserter for the far end.

Engenius makes lots of good APs for this application. Here's one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-168-118

Scan the various APs they make. There are other decent vendors, but this one is among the best for low cost.

This uses omni-directional antennas. Another approach is to buy APs with a directional antenna and mount them high up on the walls. Be sure to get a wide beamwidth antenna, like 120 degrees or so. Or put APs with omni antennas on the wall.

Warehouses filled with inventory are hard to cover.

As to SSIDs and handoffs... this is a PITA for low cost WiFi. Pro grade WiFi (Aruba, Cisco) have managed handoffs as you move about among a group of APs. With low cost, the client device won't change APs smartly. There are ways to minimize the handoff hassle, but it's a bit too much to go into here.

If you have a very large warehouse, I suggest you pay a competent pro to lay out where the APs go, channel plan, SSID plan etc.

Use APs with directional antennas. 2 APs mounted at opposing corners with directional antennas on the ceiling would help. Use WDS with the same SSID so clients automatically switch.

I've had really bad experience with engenius, their hardware fail when used outside with their outdoor variants are just too expansive and the failure just too often. not sure if they have changed since than.

if you get APs with multiple antennas you can improve reception significantly by orienting them with directional antennas. Omni directional spreads the signal out too much that the drop the further you go is high. Using higher gain antennas can help especially if you can use higher transmit power.

You can connect it directly to the router. Just connect it to one of the LAN ports on the router. A router is basically an advanced switch.