What's new

Wireless Router connect to wired LAN network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Almighty1

Regular Contributor
Greetings everyone:

I am basically trying to figure out how to get the following configuration working.

First I have a DSL Modem which acts as a bridge to the 75.x.x.x network, the LAN side is connected to a Cisco 10GiGE Catalyst managed switch on 100FDX Ethernet using CAT 6 cable.

The Cisco Catalyst 10GiGE managed switch routes both 75.x.x.x and 192.168.0.0/24 as I have the switch configured with the IP address of 192.168.0.100.

I then have a Netgear R7000 Wireless AC router which has a 75.x.x.x address on the WAN side and 192.168.2.1/24 on the LAN side with it handling 192.168.2.0/24 for wireless and wired clients on the LAN side of the router. I am currently using the XWRT port of ASUS-Merlin firmware for the R7000 and have used dd-wrt and OEM firmware in the past.

Now my question is, is there anyway I can get it working so 192.168.2.x clients can talk to 192.168.1.x/24. /24 just means the entire 0-255 or class C, netmask 255.255.255.0 for those who are not familiar with the terms.
It seems like one way to do it would be to give the Netgear R7000 a IP in 192.168.0.x/24 as a secondary IP on the WAN port but I am not sure how to do that exactly as I don't see a way to configure multiple IP addresses on either the LAN or WAN side. I have tried not doing anything and just physically connecting a CAT6 cable on the LAN side of the Netgear R7000 router to the Cisco 10GiGE Catalyst switch and basically what will happen is the Netgear R7000 will completely freeze up solid and the only way it will work again is the cable being disconnected. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

if im reading this right you just want the r7000 to run in AP mode so it acts like an access point and switch and the routyer function is bypassed right ?

if so

I am currently using the XWRT port of ASUS-Merlin firmware

leave the connection to the wan port of the r7000 and from the admin tab in the gui select ap mode as the connection method

you could use the wan bypass method but there is no need as the firmware has a specific ap mode in its firmware

Thanks pete y testing for your reply. Hope things are good in down under, heard about some kangaroo story on the news yesterday.

Not quite, I actually want it to run as a router but basically the way to think about it is that:
You have the 192.168.0.0/24 network for the wired LAN connected to the ports on the switch.
The R7000 is also connected to the switch on both the WAN side and the LAN side using CAT6 cable. The LAN side of the switch is on 192.168.1.0/24 which handles the wireless clients.
What I want to know is how to get it so the computers on the wired LAN and the wireless LAN can see each other so that things like networked printers connected wirelessly and file sharing will work between Windows computers (XP on the wired side and 10 on the wireless side) so just pretend the switch is the standard non-managed type.

I am really having trouble trying to figure out what your doing, lol. A diagram and all devices present would help. I assume you have VLANs set up on the Cisco switch to keep the 75.xx traffic from the 192.xx traffic?
Well after reading your post again it seems like maybe you don't have VLAN's set up as it looks like you are creating a network loop when you connect the LAN side R7000 to the switch. Wow I am really confused. What is handing out your addresses on the 192.168.0.x subnet? What model is your Cisco switch? You make it sound like it is a routing switch (Layer3). If so then we can get your setup to work once we understand everything.

Sorry abailey but thanks for your reply, I just suck at drawing in general especially diagrams even on paper so it won't really help trying to do one on the computer either. No VLANs are setted up on the Cisco switch which only has a IP of 192.168.0.100/24. I don't think it's a network loop because remember the R7000 only has a WAN IP and a LAN IP so it's not even in the same subnet, the problem when I connected the cable that hanged the R7000 within a few seconds of the connection seems to only happen with the original Netgear firmware 2 years ago but doesn't happen with the XWRT ported ASUS-Merlin software. It's a Cisco Catalyst 6504-E, I don't have anything faster than 1Gbps connected and that's the R7000. Maybe I'll try to explain it better.

Basically, everything wired is connected to the switch that is 100Mbps with the Wireless router and the DSL Modem in bridge mode at 1Gbps but I only have a 6Mbps/768kbps connection with 8 static IPs. One of them is used by the R7000.

So basically it goes like this:
1) DSL Modem via CAT 6 1Gbps to switch in bridge mode which has DHCP served by 75.x.x.1/24 being a Redback SMS1800 Router on the other side at the ISP. The DSL Modem itself has a non-configurable IP of 192.168.1.254/24 and if I turned the router portion on, it will basically serve DHCP addresses of 192.168.1.2-253. This is a 6Mbps/768kbps connection.
2) Wireless Router (Netgear R7000) connected with CAT6 cable at 1Gbps the WAN side being 75.x.x.215/24 the the switch and the LAN side being 192.168.0.1 with one wire now connected to the switch which has my Windows 10 notebook on a random 192.168.2.x/24 IP.
3) Wired computer(s) are connected to the switch using CAT6 cable. Only 3 computers which provides services has 75.x.x.208, 75.x.x.209 are using the public static IPs. 208 is a FreeBSD box, 209 is a Windows XP machine and 210 being a Windows XP machine which are all connected at 100Mbps via CAT6 cable to the switch. The 208 box has a secondary IP's of 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 while the 209 has secondary IP's of 192.168.0.120, 192.168.1.120. 210 has secondary IP's of 192.168.0.144, 192.168.1.144, and 192.168.2.144 as it is a notebook so I have it going both wired and wireless. On all those machines, 75.x.x.1 is the default gateway, no other gateways have been set.

So basically, I'm trying to figure out how to configure the R7000 so that the computers on #2 and #3 above can talk to each other for things like ssh/telnet and Windows file sharing and also sharing of printers as I do have a printer connected by USB to the 120 machine which works fine between the 209 and 210 machine. There is a wireless printer as 192.168.2.25 which only my notebook in #2 above can see now.

So not to make it complicated, let's pretend this is a non-managed switch since the electricity can get expensive with the Cisco and I may be switching to a lower end non-managed switch instead.

There is nothing handling out addresses on the 192.168.0.x yet as I actually like to manually assign the IPs for that subnet which was what I had been doing since 1996 before I had a wireless network added to the equation.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!