What's new

Wireless Router for SOHO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoyceBabu

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am planning to buy a new Wireless Router. The router will be used in a SOHO environment. There are 6 computers that work simultaneously, and it might increase up to 10. The firewall (stock firmware / custom firmware) should allow me to selectively block/open outgoing ports. It should also allow me to re-route all outgoing traffic on ports 80 and 443 through another firewall / content filtering server.

I have been reading about several reviews and found several positive reviews on ASUS RT-N16. Will it support my requirements above? Also, it would really helpful if you suggest what ADSL modem I should by along with my router. I already have a NetGear 834Gv5 router. Can I use it as a modem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am changing the router because my current router does not allow me to transparently re-route all outgoing traffic on ports 80 and 443 through my firewall server. My current router allows port forwarding only for incoming traffic.

If I understand correctly, custom firmwares allow me to configure iptables on the router to port forward outgoing traffic.

port forwarding incoming on port 80, for example, would not require explicit forward of 80 for outgoing. It's the nature of TCP connections such as used by HTTP. That inbound port 80 connection gets moved to a different outgoing port, and yet another port for incoming for that session. This is done by the router's NAT processing; it's transparent to you.

What is the network configuration that would require you to do this?

My knowledge in networking is very limited. I am not sure if it is right to call it port forwarding. This is what I am trying to achieve. I want all HTTP and HTTPS traffic to pass through an intermediate server running Squid, so that I can perform DLP analysis on the data. I want to do this at router level, rather than setting a proxy on every system, because that can be bypassed.