What's new

Wireless router that does AP server and also client to another AP simultaneously?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elr

New Around Here
Hi there,

the problem: I have an android smartphone, capable of tethering. It's cool to be able to connect all the wireless devices of my home to it and use the Internet from all of them. However, when I need to transfer GBs of data from a device to another and do HD streaming, the smartphone (which is acting as the wireless router for all of them) starts doing network drops, high latencies etc. So, even if the smartphone was all the time at my home (which obviously doesn't happen when I'm not at home), the smartphone is not the best wireless router there is.

the question: I'd like to use a real designed-for wireless router acting as the main AP for all the devices at my home LAN, AND then also be able to connect this wireless router as a wireless client to my smartphone tethering AP when the smartphone is at home in order to access the Internet. Using this setup, I would both be able to transfer large datastream across the wireless clients at my home without overloading the smartphone (because the LAN transfers would go through the main AP), and connect them to the Internet when the smartphone is there. However, I can't find a wireless router that is able to act simultaneously as an AP for my home devices and as a wireless client to my smartphone AP. Does anyone know any router that is able to do that?

(I know I could probably do that by putting 2 wireless network cards on a computer or laptop and using it to bridge the 2 wireless network, but then I would need to keep this thing on all the time. I could also probably do that after buying 2 wireless routers and plugging them with a wired cable, but the question here is: is there a single wireless router that does that for me?)

thanks!:)

after some extra time googling, I was able to find this description which seems to do what I need, anyone has any experience with this router?

http://us.zyxel.com/Products/Details.aspx?CategoryGroupNo=71AF687E-0C59-427F-A228-EFFE0DDA4DFC

- Extend Wireless Network Coverage with Most Popular APs
With the built-in Universal Repeater mode, the WAP3205 *can work as a wireless client to connect most popular access points, and simultaneously performs as an access point to provide wireless connectivity to all other wireless devices* such as notebooks. In other words, WAP3205 can extend the wireless coverage to the entire home premise and enable all wireless devices to link to the existing network – this is especially helpful for larger home environments.

Hi, I am pretty much in the same boat and hoping that some of the gurus here can chime in.

First of all, I assume the function we both are looking for is the "universal repeater" bit mentioned in the Zyxel blurb?

Second, my situation is somewhat different in that tha AP-client part of the device will need to have an outdoor 2.4Ghz antenna attached.

This means replacing the 1st antenna of the Zyxel, right? While the AP-server part I assume could use the original 2nd antenna of the Zyxel to transmit wifi for my end devices?

Now I've heard with this setup implemented on standard APs you can technically get some results, but you will sacrifice network speed and even experience packet loss along the way. Is this not the case also for this Zyxel?

Many thanks and sorry for the sllight hijack! :D

The device you get must at least serve DHCP so that the connected devices have correct Gateway and DNS info that point them to your smartphone when it comes home. I don't know if the ZyXEL does this.

There are products designed precisely for this. They are intended to be used with wireless ISPs. The Pepwave Surf is one. I reviewed an old model a long time ago.

The other approach would be to tether your smartphone to a router that can use a 3G/4G USB modem connection. Best bet for that would be a Cradlepoint, which supports a lot of modems and phones. The MBR900 is relatively expensive.

Let us know how you make out.

Isn't his phone still going to serve DHCP? I mean it serves it now, so why would it stop if he bought a universal repeater?

It will serve DHCP when it is there. But the issue is how the devices get their IP info when the phone is not there.

He can assign static IPs? As for DNS, he won't need if the phone's not there seeing as it's the only available internet gateway?

A product that is simultaneously an access point for WiFi clients and a client to another access point/WiFi router -- is a WDS device. Lots of these on the market.

There are a a number products (in the pro world) that have two radios in one box so it is truly an AP and a bridge on different SSIDs and can move "backhaul" on a different channel or band. Some do the backhaul on a mesh network. But these aren't found in consumer-land.

Howdy,
What you are looking for is a router which uses the smartphone as the internet gateway.
The router itself stays and is wired to your computers and has 2.4ghz wifi out for your other local wireless items. They will continue to be able to network each other, and when you come home, you plug your smartphone into the router(usb cable) and turn on the tether option. This will give your router a path to the internet, and it also gives all your home computers, laptop, etc.. access to the internet as well. I am using the sapido unit. http://www.sapidotech.com/products.php?act=view&no=67 known as the RB-1733. They have other units as well. I also see http://www.zoomtel.com/products/4501.html has a product.

Later...