What's new

wireless router to wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeekofBarrenRun

New Around Here
I handle the IT at the small business where I work. We have two buildings approx. 100 yards apart. The second building has an independent network with it's own wireless router. Our main building has a peer to peer network with two servers used as a data base connected to a hardwired business router. My boss purchased a Belkin wireless router for our main building and two Belkin WIFI extenders. He wants to use the WIFI extenders one in the main building and one in the second building to extend the WIFI signal from the main building to the second building so that the computers in the second building can have access to the servers. Problem is he thinks the wireless router in the second building will pick up the wireless signal from the main building allowing it access to that network. I don't think one wireless router can access another wireless router won't you get conflicting signals. There is only one computer in the second building for now so I think it would be better to put a wireless network card in that computer and choose which network to use. The network in our main building uses a static IP address. I was aalso thinking about suggesting using a nano bridge setup because I don't think the extenders will reach between buildings. The buildings are line of site. Sorry such a long post. Thanks

At a 100 yards, even if you have line of sight with no walls between the structures you are darned unlikely to be able to connect them or get a usable connection if you can connect them. At 100 yards, even line of sight, the proper way to do this is a pair of wireless bridges mounted outside to connect to each other and then a wireless router in access point mode or plain access point in the second building to then provide wireless coverage.

100yds is a tall order for a regular router without some kind of directional antennas, which the belkin units don't have (and don't even think about it if they don't have line of sight and are outdoors.)

I'm not an IT guy, but i've used these to extend network from my house to my workshop. They are simply awesome. Just like running ethernet cable, but without having to run ethernet cable. Not sure if these will work for your application.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z53K8Q/?tag=snbforums-20
If you have any type of wire between the buildings like telephone wire, I highly recommend the ethernet extenders by netsys-direct.com. We've had sets working for YEARS now over 30 year old, untwisted, category-nothing telephone wire. They even have a telephone passthrough, so you could just plug them in where you have a phone running between the buildings and be done with a hard-wired connection in minutes.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!