What's new

Wireless router used in env with lots of other networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drlandau

New Around Here
Hi all,

I live in an 85 m2 apartment where I get reception from 7-10 other wireless networks in the area. The apartment have rather thick concrete walls, also internaly - and it seems that the air is really crowded with signals (noise) giving me problems with a good and strong signal from my own 802.11g router.

As per Network Stumbler all the other networks are 802.11g networks in the 2.4Ghz band, so I'm thinking about buying a multi band (dual or quad) 802.11n router, to utilize the 5 Ghz band for better signal.

I'm thinking abut the Linksys WRT610N, it seems to have the best reviews of the multi band routers I have found.

- Are there other options I should consider (apart from antenna/signal boosters, that's probably not allowed here in Denmark anyway because of a somewhat strict regulation of the air-bands)...?

- Are there 802.11g or 802.11n routers out there that is better to handle signal noise from other networks, that sends out a stronger signal or is better at "bouncing off the walls" in my apartment, so it "gets better into the corners"...?

My pc's gonna get a 802.11n adapter while I also have a SqueezeBox that - when installed - should also run on the same wireless net (though only 802.11g).

Any thoughts as to how I get better WiFi coverage in my appartment (with a single router) is HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
/Nicolaj

Last edited:
It's interesting that you are getting high interference from adjacent networks even with "thick concrete walls", which usually attenuate signals pretty effectively.

The primary effect of crowded airspace is throughput reduction and/or connection interruption, not range reduction. Switching to 5 GHz will give you less interference, but will reduce your range.

Your best bet would be to put higher gain antennas on your router if you can.

Long story - sorry - questions at the bottom :)

Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for your reply. About the concrete, where the router is positioned today (inside a cabinet in the hallway) the direct path to the pc is through a couple of concrete walls, but the pc itself might be closer to other WiFi's (through a single wall to either of the neighbors or through the floor to the apt. below), so I think the internal walls work against my own signal compared to some of the neighbors.

Anyway, I've been through a couple of different setups with different outcomes. I had poor results with the single-antenna 802.11g Netopia modem router from my ISP when used with my Netgear WG111v2 adapter (many dropouts and bandwidth kept shifting even as low as 1 and 2 mbit = VPN connection died).

Right now I have borrowed a D-Link DIR-636 with 3 antennas. With my Netgear WG111v2 adapter it improved the overall speed, but I still had constant shifts in the bandwith. With a borrowed (old) Linksys 802.11g USB adapter I now get pretty good reception and 54 mbit flat out. So much better than before! So the WG111v2 adapter might be faulty and the ISP router not very good (single antenna that can't be changed - and a replacement router didn't help either).

I haven't tried a 802.11n adapter yet (no one to borrow from).
My pc it still getting stronger signals (5 bars) from some of the surrounding WiFi's than from my own router, but this might not matter.

If I end up with a 802.11n router I'll also get a 802.11n adapter for my pc - but the other laptop is still only 802.11g, and so is my SqueezeBox, so I guess mixed mode will be important (unless I just lock it to 802.11g for all clients - but then whats the point in buying a 802.11n...?).

I've been looking at the below routers based on your own and CNET reviews, but it's a bit of a jungle.
The price is the price I have found them to here in Denmark.

Netgear WPN824 86 USD
D-Link DIR-655 113 USD
Belkin N+ Wireless Router 104 USD
SMC SMCWGBR14-N Barricade N router 135 USD

- Any suggestions for a "best buy" router (don't need to be dual band) with a strong signal in the above price range?
- Do you have any suggestions to a USB adapter with a strong antenna? Seems hard to find one with external antenna.

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited: