What's new

Wireless Router with Security Features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crazy4nothing

Occasional Visitor
Hi there all.

Help choosing a wireless router with security enhancement.

i would like to buy a new wireless router with top end features, gigabit ports, extra fast wireless speed. etc.

But most important feature is one that cisco called Internet Access Policy.
Right now i have a e4200v1, this router is one of the very less routers at cisco that allow you to :
Restrict a device’s Internet access, block certain applications and services, and block certain websites by the use of keywords or by the URL at a given time. This feature is always confused with Parental Controls, but Parental is very limited on what you can do to manage access or blocking services or applications.

here you could find a definition of IAP and PC IAP and Parental Controls

Do you have any suggestions of what brand/model could do the work?

i have seen some cisco business routers but those lack of top notch features like media sharing, usb ports, printer share.

I used the smallbuilder router finder and the only one that come up is the

ASUS RT-AC66U, but could not find on the manual the specs for that kind service.

Any suggestion, appreciate,

These features vary greatly and can't be simply captured in the Finders.

You can get better web filtering than comes in most routers by using OpenDNS. This is what many router manufacturers are doing now.

To limit applications, you just need a router with Service Blocking.

Setting the Router Finder "URL Block" and "Service Block" filters in the Firewall section shows 75 products, not one as you say.

You might also look at "UTM" type appliances, but they usually require subscription fees and don't share files or media.

Dear Tim,

Thnks for your response,
I am using OpenDNS but cant apply some restrictiong to anly a few users, for example just allow any given ip adress with just imap or pop email access. that is why im looking for the Internet Access Policy feature (aka Access Control)

The Router i mention, has de AC protocol, as well as the URL, keywords and service block. At least that is what the tool specify, but ont he manual i could not find the configuration settings for those features.

Do you have a suggestion of a router that does have the AC wireless protocol and the URL, keyword, service block/allow, (Internet Access Policy, Access Control).

Regards

TP-LINK and most of these features but how many users are you talking about. Some limit it to 10 to 12 users.

You might look at the Linksys EA6500. Better controls are available using the Smart WiFi features.

Why is 11ac a requirement? It does not help wireless performance for non 11ac clients. The 11ac routers introduced at CES will start to ship in the next few months, so there will be more choices at lower price points.

THe AC is just mere "marketing feature" but we need to have a new router with that, i get that, otherwise, the EA6500 does not support the IAP like the e4200v1 does, where you can allow or block certaing websites, keywords, services for any given ip or ip grop(s).

It seems that the ASUS RT-AC66U, does support that kind of settings for network administrators.

Do you have any other suggestion

Thnks for the help

THe TP link, any specifc model ? the users are like 15, but with different types or restrictions, like, ip .50 - .100 have access to interent but .90-.100 dont have access to www.xxxxx.com but 99 does, .101-150 have only access to port 110 and 80 for email, and combinations like those.

regards

THe AC is just mere "marketing feature" but we need to have a new router with that, i get that, otherwise, the EA6500 does not support the IAP like the e4200v1 does, where you can allow or block certaing websites, keywords, services for any given ip or ip grop(s).
The EA6500 supports the same parental controls as other Linksys "smart WiFi" routers. Here is a description of the Parental controls.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/cloud/cloud-services-apps/31847-cisco-connect-cloud-reviewed?start=1

Dear thiggins:

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetAr...d68fda918ecf5a_KB_EN_v1.xml&pid=1&converted=0

Comparing Internet Access Policy and Parental controls

The major differences are listed below:

• The Internet Access Policy allows you to restrict a device’s Internet access, block certain applications and services, and block certain websites by the use of keywords or by the URL at a given time. Parental controls only allows you to restrict Internet access time for up to five (5) users within your network and block a maximum of eight (8) specific websites.

• The Parental Controls section has only three (3) sections you need to edit to activate the feature: Target Devices, Schedule, and Block Specific Sites. For Internet Access Policy, you need to update the following six (6) sections after creating access restrictions: Applied PCs, Access Restriction, Schedule, Website Blocking by URL Address, Website Blocking by Keyword, and Blocked Applications.

• The start time of Internet access blocking after midnight is not applicable for Parental controls. If you want to enable Internet access block after midnight or set a specific Internet access policy like restrict access on weeknights but not on weekends, you need to enable the Access Restrictions feature of the router instead.

• You can create up to 10 Internet access policies for Internet Access Policy. There’s no Access Policy option under Parental controls.

• For Parental controls, you can block a maximum of eight (8) websites. Under Internet Access Policy, you can block an unlimited number of websites based on the URL addresses and keywords.

• For Internet Access Policy, you can manually specify devices by IP address or MAC address. For Parental controls, you can only add the target devices (which are a part of your network) that you can set up with restrictions.