What's new

WLAN separate from LAN and WDS, or?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hoot_spoot

New Around Here
Hi,

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=978173#978173

Describes most of what I am trying to do.

Right now, the existing WZR-HP-G300N splits the WLAN off, and that is for guests. The lan is for business.

What I lack is a conceptual model of how VLAN Tagging is supposed to work. Do I create a bridge and a VLAN Tagged adapter, and bridge the VLAN to the WLAN and the ethernet? It's so confusing, it would be easier to have three separate devices: one that splits traffic, and one that is the front AP and one that is the back (connected with their own ethernet cable for guest access). Yet I know VLAN Tagging is supposed to be able to provide for this, creating virtual networks within the main network.

The best explanation I found was on SNB. So when I saw it had forums, I stopped by here to post this question.

VLAN tags have the information as to which VLAN this packet belongs to. You use a trunk port to pass multiple VLANs on. IF a packet crosses a switch without VLAN support the tag information will be stripped off the packet. Set your VLANs up and pass them to a router on a trunk port. For 2 VLANs to talk to each other the packets will need to be routed by a router or layer3 switch.