What's new

WNDR 4500 or e4200 V2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
I am looking at both of these routers and see dramatic differences on the ratings on Amazon and NewEgg. On Amazon the WNDR 4500 gets great reviews and the e4200 v2 is just good. On NewEgg the WNDR seems to hanging ever day and needs rebooting all the time while the e4200 V2 is nearly perfect.

Any opinions on whether the WNDR really has all these issues? And is the e4200 v2 really great?

Thanks,

Jerry

All routers have issues. Some users get lemons or something else interferes with expected performance that is not the router's fault per se but it still gets the blame. You're more likely to read bad reviews than good ones because a frustrated consumer is more likely to complain that a happy one is to compliment.

Regardless, no one can tell you with surety what will happen in your environment. The only way to tell if either wireless router will meet your needs and expectations is to try it. That's the bottom line. You need to try a router first in order to know.

My personal experience is it took a third 4500 received before I had one that performed properly. My 4500 is a gem that has zero issues and provides excellent signal. If it is something you feel meets your requirements then I recommend trying one.

Are your clients 2 stream or 3 stream capable? If only 2 stream then you're wasting your $$ on a 3x3 router. Your clients will limit you to 2 stream (300Mb/s).

If 2 stream look at the WNDR3700V2 (not V3) or the Apple Airport Extreme.

My 2 cents.

Thanks guys.

This unit will be installed in our small office. We only have about 10 systems and all have wired gigibit connections. We will use the wireless for the occasion laptop (high end Dells or MB Pros) and phones and tablets.

My biggest concern is getting something that is fast and reliable. Downtime costs money as does time messing with the router.

jerry

Are your clients 2 stream or 3 stream capable? If only 2 stream then you're wasting your $$ on a 3x3 router. Your clients will limit you to 2 stream (300Mb/s).

If 2 stream look at the WNDR3700V2 (not V3) or the Apple Airport Extreme.

My 2 cents.

Hi,
I enjoyed WNDR3700v2 with OpenWrt f/w for a while. When I got ASUS RT-N66U and compare it to the Netgear, Netgear lost. I just slipped in the ASUS in place of Netgear, family members asked what I did wondering why the bitorrent is working faster. Comparing spec. numbers is one thing but real world feedback from actual non-technical users is that really counts. Apple has only 3 LAN port I believe.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!