What's new

WNDR3700 - AP & Bridge configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

liquidate

New Around Here
Hi,
I recently purchased 2 WNDR3700's, to replace two older Airport Extreme's that were being used as an AP and bridge. My main goal is to increase video bandwidth to my upstairs bedroom xbox 360 and directv dvr.

I had the Airports setup in WDS mode. After reading about the different caveats with WDS (reduced bandwidth, sticky clients) and finding that the Netgear WDS implementation only supports WEP, I've decided to try and keep things simple and do without WDS.

I've setup the the downstairs WNDR3700 as an AP after following this article. I'm now able to successfully connect wireless clients and access the internet.

I'm stuck on how exactly I should set up the second WNDR3700 so that it can wirelessly connect to my office AP. Does anyone have any suggestions? At this time, I'm only planning on connecting two or three devices to it via the LAN ports.

You'd have to put the second WNDR3700 in client mode, which it doesn't support. The only way to wirelessly connect two WNDR3700's is via WDS.

Ahh ok, Is it possible that client mode could be added later via a firmware update? In the mean time should I consider picking up a WNHDE111?

I'm hesitant to run both WNDR's in WDS, due to the WEP limitation. Is this a firmware limitation or hardware?

Ahh ok, Is it possible that client mode could be added later via a firmware update? In the mean time should I consider picking up a WNHDE111?
Possible, but unlikely. I don't think I've seen any router implement client mode.

The WPA/2 over WDS is a limitation of WDS. Both require key rotation, which isn't supported.

For clarification, the WNDR3700 only supports WEP encryption in WDS mode. Is that correct?

If I need WDS and WPA, it looks like I may need to go with the new Apple router even though the review for it isn't stellar :)