What's new

WNDR3700 intermittent slow wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bloodstriker

New Around Here
I'm having trouble with my WNDR3700. I've been using this router since the beginning of the year without issue.

All of a sudden, I'm starting to experience exteremely slow wifi speeds.

I've tested via the wired connection and the speeds are where they should be.

The problem has to lie somewhere in the home wifi network and not the ISP. I tried transferring a large file from a wired desktop to a wireless laptop and the file was transferring at approx. 800kbps. The laptop is withing 5 feet of the router and was at 99% signal with a 300Mbps connection and I've tried this both at 2.4 and 5GHz.

The slowness if effecting every wireless device in the house (iphone, ipad, ps3, laptop, other wireless desktop)

The strangest part is that I did not update or make any changes to the router or its firmware. This just suddenly happened out of nowhere.

Also, the problem isn't consistent. Wifi will be up and running at full speeds, then suddenly it slows down.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of the router dying or if there's something else that I'm missing.

Tried changing your WiFi router to a different channel- say, 1, 6 or 11?

Alas, if it affects both 2.4 and 5GHz, then ...
does "slow down" mean performance on the Internet? If yes, when this is happening to WiFi devices, are PCs connecting by cat5 to the router simultaneously also degraded?

Could be a dying router. But have you added any new devices to the house like cordless phones, baby monitor, microwave ovens?

Have you seen any new neighbor networks appear that are very strong?

Just a quick question, wonder if you've tried power-cycling the router (disconnecting the power and leaving it off for about 30 seconds and then reconnecting it)?

How about resetting it? If you reset it, though, you'll have to reconfigure it since reset goes back to factory defaults. But this can be helpful.

And one more thing, sometimes re-flashing it with the same firmware (or later firmware) can help.

Or, it might just might be dying as was mentioned.