What's new

WNDR3700 just died - need a replacement

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkhelmet

Occasional Visitor
Sometime during the early morning this router apparently died - lights were on but nobody was home, literally. I had it connected between my FIOS router and a QNAP NAS, with the Netgear providing most home networking. The FIOS router caps at 100mbs and I needed something that would allow the full 1gb of bandwidth, hence the Netgear in between.

Anyways I tried rebooting it, leaving it off for 30 minutes, connecting just to a notebook to access the UI. Nothing worked. Again lights were on but nothing else.

After some research I almost fell in love with the ASUS AC66U but really, because we don't have any 802.11AC devices yet do I need to spend upwards of $200 for a gigabit bridge to my FIOS router?

My fear is the Netgear lasted less than 2 years in a well ventilated room - same place as the FIOS router. Do I drop $200 now for future-proofing only to have the new one die in less than 2 years or is there a less expensive alternative?

Sometime during the early morning this router apparently died - lights were on but nobody was home, literally. I had it connected between my FIOS router and a QNAP NAS, with the Netgear providing most home networking. The FIOS router caps at 100mbs and I needed something that would allow the full 1gb of bandwidth, hence the Netgear in between.

Anyways I tried rebooting it, leaving it off for 30 minutes, connecting just to a notebook to access the UI. Nothing worked. Again lights were on but nothing else.

After some research I almost fell in love with the ASUS AC66U but really, because we don't have any 802.11AC devices yet do I need to spend upwards of $200 for a gigabit bridge to my FIOS router?

My fear is the Netgear lasted less than 2 years in a well ventilated room - same place as the FIOS router. Do I drop $200 now for future-proofing only to have the new one die in less than 2 years or is there a less expensive alternative?

Tried a different wall transformer (same voltage) ?

Tried a different wall transformer (same voltage) ?

Too late already traded the thing in @ Amazon for $30.

I need some guidance with the new ASUS router though - after logging in I see a Administration link with a tab labeled "Operation Mode." Within this tab is the option to turn the router into a Wireless router mode (Default), Access Point(AP) mode or Media bridge. I have no need for Media but was wondering, if I have to keep the FIOS router in place (per Verizon) and use the ASUS as a bridge, should I also set the Operation Mode as "Access Point?"

Everything except the wireless printer is connecting fine, so I'm wondering maybe because I have the ASUS set as Wireless Router instead of AP might be causing the printer to fail to connect.