What's new

WNDR3700 range not good enough extend/repeat with a WNDR3300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mnichollsuk

New Around Here
Hey

I have bought a WNDR3700 and i could do with extending the range (bandwidth loss isnt an issue as music streaming is the most by wireless network handles, the rest is on Gigabit)

Can i set up the WNDR3300 to extend the range of the WNDR3700 ?

I have played with the settings on the WNDR3700 and it seems when using repeating only WEP can be used?

Is this correct, as WEP can not be broken so isnt the most secure security settings, also im not sure how i go about setting it up

Can anyone offer advise or tips?

Many Thanks

WNDR3700 or WNDR3300 used as range extender?

Hi there,

Your question is A bit vague.
Could you explain A bit more clearly what the the problem situation is?
Maybe It's simpler to change your wifi channel for example.
I don't know if there are any wifi networks causing any interference nor isn't there any info on other household appliances that might cause this bad range.

Kind regards

Last edited:
You are correct that WPA / WPA2 is not supported for WDS repeating.

You can put DD-WRT on the wndr3300, and youll be able to do "Repeater Bridge", support both wired and wireless on both routers and on same subnet as the primary router (wndr3700)

...and with wpa2 security

Repeating cuts bandwidth in 1/2 at best and often causes other undesirable issues. Consider buying 2 x WNDR3700. Use same SSID on both and put one on channel 6 and the other on 11 (for 2.4Ghz). Better laptop wifi cards will hand off seamlessly between the two. I do it all the time (not with the WNDR3700 but with others). Should work similarly with the 3700.

The negative is you'll need a wired LAN connection where both 3700's are placed.

Like he said, he only need music streaming.
So ½ bandwidth shouldnt be an issue.
And he doesnt have to have wired between routers.