What's new

WNDR4500v2 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mediatrek

Regular Contributor
Has anyone heard news about a hardware revision to Netgear’s WNDR4500 (ie WNDR4500v2)? I checked for FCC filings. Nothing. Yet, Netgear has posted v1.0.0.12 firmware for a WNDR4500v2 unit on their FTP server routers pull firmware updates from.

My guess is that if there is a hardware revision, it will solely be a cost reduction based revision since the WNDR4500 SKU has been dropping in price and most likely will again in Q4.

Has anyone heard news about a hardware revision to Netgear’s WNDR4500 (ie WNDR4500v2)? I checked for FCC filings. Nothing. Yet, Netgear has posted v1.0.0.12 firmware for a WNDR4500v2 unit on their FTP server routers pull firmware updates from.

My guess is that if there is a hardware revision, it will solely be a cost reduction based revision since the WNDR4500 SKU has been dropping in price and most likely will again in Q4.

Almost always likely a cost-reduction. They either have different CPU/SoC units, different radios that integrate better, or less-expensive ways of routing components on the board to reduce what's used.

It doesn't always mean that the product is cheaper, though. I have the WNDR370v2 and in many respects it's a better router than the first version. There were a lot of first-generation routers having radio problems with third-party firmwares. The v2 hasn't had an issue.

The v2 also had more RAM I believe.

So a new version isn't always bad.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!