What's new

WOL Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ABuNeNe

Occasional Visitor
Hi I've a desktop PC and a IBM Thinkpad T43 notebook connected to a Aztech DSL7000GRV router. I've enabled the WOL on the notebook and it work fine once I've started it manually before.

I'll power off all the devices everyday including the router and when I power on, it seem like this cause the WOL not to work on the notebook anymore until I've start it up manually. I suspect it's due to the router being restarted thus the magic packet is not able to reach the notebook.

I tried both DHCP and static address configuration on the router for the notebook and both give me the same result.

Any advise?

You are using a dumb switch (effectively). It doesn't have the capability to save the learnt mac addresses to non-volatile memory. Every time you power down the unit, it starts with a clean slate for the mac table and doesn't know which port your devices are connected to and won't be able to direct the magic packet accordingly.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!