What's new

Won't update GT-AX6000 to any firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Epi

Occasional Visitor
I have no luck updating firmware. Please help.

GT-AX6000
Current Version : 386.7_2

I tried both
GT-AX6000_388.1_0
GT-AX6000_3004_388.6_2
GT-AX6000_3004_388.7_0

I also did save settings and factory reset. After factory reset i tried to upload all of these firmware versions unsuccessfully, I also tried an original firmware FW_GT_AX6000_300610234791 from asus.com without luck.

All I get is:

Please wait, Applying Settings...
followed by
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

I assumed I have same issue as here, so I tried both macbook and windows 11 with latest updates and different browsers chrome and edge.
No clue what to do.

Have you tried updating with the asus rescue program? Or with no usb connected?
Try rebooting and then flashing again

I have no luck updating firmware. Please help.

GT-AX6000
Current Version : 386.7_2

I tried both
GT-AX6000_388.1_0
GT-AX6000_3004_388.6_2
GT-AX6000_3004_388.7_0

I also did save settings and factory reset. After factory reset i tried to upload all of these firmware versions unsuccessfully, I also tried an original firmware FW_GT_AX6000_300610234791 from asus.com without luck.

All I get is:

Please wait, Applying Settings...
followed by
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

I assumed I have same issue as here, so I tried both macbook and windows 11 with latest updates and different browsers chrome and edge.
No clue what to do.
If you have any usb drives plugged in take them out and try it again.

I just tried firmware restoration tool from ASUS.
First I flashed ASUSWRT-MERLIN GT-AX6000_3004_388.7_0 and despite message "Successfully recovered" after logging in I saw same exact Current Version : 386.7_2. I also tried it with original firmware, and I'm still stuck with 386.7_2 despite "success".

1719588435772.png

I have only internet cable plugged in. Nothing else. During the firmware flashing part the only thing plugged to router was AC and Ethernet cable from PC to Router.

Please help :) Router does not have warranty any more.

1719588785636.png

Also, I have issues with renaming devices (after I rename my changes go unnoticed) and same with DHCP list adjustments, DNS filtering etc., whatever I do, my settings aren't saved. I dialog box it says they are, but after i get back to the setting screen, they are reverted back to what is was before.

I have Enable Web Access from WAN set up, in case someone is willing to help me out.

Last edited:
I just tried firmware restoration tool from ASUS.
First I flashed ASUSWRT-MERLIN GT-AX6000_3004_388.7_0 and despite message "Successfully recovered" after logging in I saw same exact Current Version : 386.7_2. I also tried it with original firmware, and I'm still stuck with 386.7_2 despite "success".

View attachment 59840

I have only internet cable plugged in. Nothing else. During the firmware flashing part the only thing plugged to router was AC and Ethernet cable from PC to Router.

Please help :) Router does not have warranty any more.

View attachment 59841

Also, I have issues with renaming devices (after I rename my changes go unnoticed) and same with DHCP list adjustments, DNS filtering etc., whatever I do, my settings aren't saved. I dialog box it says they are, but after i get back to the setting screen, they are reverted back to what is was before.

I have Enable Web Access from WAN set up, in case someone is willing to help me out.
Have you tried to hard factory reset then upgrade the firmware?

Some other troubleshooting suggestions (if you haven't tried them already).
Temporary disable any security/firewall/malware software on the computer prior to flashing.
Try a variety of web browsers.
Temporarily disable all browser add-on's and extensions.
Do not have any VPN running either on PC or router.
Try a different Ethernet cable between the computer and router.
Unplug WAN cable.
Do a hard factory reset (remove USB hard drive first if attached, then reset, do not reattach USB hard drive).

Yes, tried it. It still fails.
Some other troubleshooting suggestions (if you haven't tried them already).
Temporary disable any security/firewall/malware software on the computer prior to flashing.
Try a variety of web browsers.
Temporarily disable all browser add-on's and extensions.
Do not have any VPN running either on PC or router.
Try a different Ethernet cable between the computer and router.
Unplug WAN cable.
Do a hard factory reset (remove USB hard drive first if attached, then reset, do not reattach USB hard drive).
I tried all of these. Both mac and PC. Different browsers with no addons. No VPN, no nothing.
I started thinking it might be corrupt hard drive problem on the router? But how do I check? Some other ideas?

I started thinking it might be corrupt hard drive problem on the router? But how do I check? Some other ideas?
The router does not have an internal hard drive. It is possible, but likely extremely rare, that the RAM and or internal memory storage used for the firmware have become corrupted. If you have use the firmware restoration tool, make sure to follow the Asus directions for using that tool to the letter, including setting the local PC's IP address to the address specified in the directions.

Yes, tried it. It still fails.

I tried all of these. Both mac and PC. Different browsers with no addons. No VPN, no nothing.
Return it.

Current Asus firmware for your CT-AC6000 is: 3.0.0.6.102_34791

I recommend you try an older Asus firmware such as: 3.0.0.4.388_23285. Flash it over the Merlin after doing a Hard Factory Reset or reset with initialize and a minimal configuration.

Be careful with the Firmware Resteration Tool as you can brick the router.

See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gt-ax6000-rescue.88572/

Current Asus firmware for your CT-AC6000 is: 3.0.0.6.102_34791

I recommend you try an older Asus firmware such as: 3.0.0.4.388_23285. Flash it over the Merlin after doing a Hard Factory Reset or reset with initialize and a minimal configuration.

Be careful with the Firmware Resteration Tool as you can brick the router.

See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/gt-ax6000-rescue.88572/
I followed the "TO RESCUE / UN-BRICK AN ASUS GT-AX6000 THAT APPEARS TO BE BRICKED OR IN BOOT LOOP / ENTER RESCUE MODE" guide part.
Also downloaded 3.0.0.4.388_23285 as you recommended.

1719643504501.png
1719643515994.png

Unfortunately.

Sound like another case or read only flash.

This means its a hardware issue that can't be solved and my 300 EUR router is going to the trash?
Should I somehow get to access U-Boot console to share logfiles?

Last edited:
Check your warranty! It may be an EU/UK thing, but my GT-AX6000 came with a three-year warranty (double-checked on the Asus website)!

This suggests there could be underlying problems with the router’s storage volumes.
Very easy way to invite a security compromise and malware. Please disable it.

Check some of the recommendations in these posts from Merlin:

This means its a hardware issue that can't be solved and my 300 EUR router is going to the trash?

See the link posted above by @dave14305. You have to diagnose and eventually confirm the issue first. If confirmed the same case - try what is described as solution. If you are unable to do any of the above yourself or the solution provided doesn't work - router is going to the trash, unfortunately.