What's new

Worth Upgrading from an R7000 yet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mak

New Around Here
I have been running an R7000 for about 2 years now and it has overall ran very nicely. It has needed to be rebooted probably less than 5 times in total and gives a good throughput and range across all 4 levels of my home to approximately 15 devices (mostly 5GHZ N and AC devices). I am quite happy with it but being a bit of a tech geek, the question of "is there something truly that much better I can upgrade to?" arises. I experimented with the Asus RT-AC3200, TP-Link Archer C2600 MU-MIMO, TP-Link AC-3200 tri-band, and the Netgear R7500 (when it first came out) and all of them provided good but not great numbers. I always went back to my trusty R7000. I have not tried any of the new Linksys or D-Link routers and would like to know whether or not there is anything better in terms of range and throughput that is currently on the market.

I was about to say the same as Tim did above me. I'm running an AC1900 router myself and I can't find a single reason to change that. When MU-MIMO get's out there properly, then I'll purchase something new, but until then, most routers don't even have supporting firmware for that working yet and only a very very small amount of devices support it.

As Tim suggests, don't break a working system. :)

When it's time to move on from your working solution, you'll have more than a hunch that there may be something better out there. ;)

As Tim suggests, don't break a working system. :)

When it's time to move on from your working solution, you'll have more than a hunch that there may be something better out there. ;)

OP said he is quite happy with R7000, at the same time I think he already answered his own question himself. Getting old I am beginning to get lazy/tired of fiddling with new toys, LOL!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online