What's new

Worth upgrading to N-6300 from N-1000 just for 2.4Ghz ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pfm

Occasional Visitor
I have a Lenovo SL410 laptop that has an Intel Wireless N-1000 card and I believe this laptop can take a N-6300 as well. After upgrading to an ASUS RT-N66U router I came to the tragic realization that 5Ghz is practically useless in my home, so in terms of just 2.4ghz only would it be worth upgrading to an Intel Wireless N-6300 ?
Some facts - even with good signal strength the n-1000 adapter manages only 72Mbps no matter what channel I use or how close I am to the router. It connets at 144 and then drops to 72 in a few moments. However, my work laptop which is a Lenovo T430 has a N-6205 and locks in at 144 all the time. Sometimes I have had drop out issues with the n-1000 also nothing terrible but have noticed it.
So given that I will never use the N 5ghz capabilities what advantage do I have in upgrading to n-6300 just for 2.4ghz and that too for normal usage like browsing perhaps online video once in a while.

Your laptop must have three antennas if you want to upgrade to the 6300.
Upgrading to a 2x2 card like the 6250 should provide a boost in throughput as you see with your other Lenovo.

The Intel N1000 card is a single transmit, 2-stream receive card - so replacing it with another might not be much benefit actually....

in other words

N150 on sending from the computer
N300 on receiving to the computer

Replacing it with another N300 card probably isn't going to buy you much more on the performance.

If you really have the itch to replace the N1000...

The Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB is a nice dual-band card that also has Bluetooth onboard - if you've got two Antenna leads, it's pretty much a drop-in replacement...

$25 on Amazon

sfx

Hi,
Lenovo used to have white list for WiFi card. My wife's old SL510 had it. Wonder OP's SL410 is same. Then OP better get Lenovo compatible card. One reason I purged IBM/Lenovo laptops from our house. 3rd antenna kit is available which one can plug it in and tape down antenna inside the laptop case. My Durabook had N1000 card which is wimpy single band one.

Last edited:
HP and Lenevo both have blacklists in the BIOS/UEFI for "approved" cards...

Many feel this is to limit upgrades - but perhaps this is more about regulatory approval in the markets they ship product to - some countries are particular about RF (Brazil for example).

sfx

Hi,
Getting around that by patching BIOS is possible but I got tired of doing that. Now every one in the family is on Asus except daughter who is MBP addict, LOL!

Last edited:
HP and Lenevo both have blacklists in the BIOS/UEFI for "approved" cards...

Many feel this is to limit upgrades - but perhaps this is more about regulatory approval in the markets they ship product to - some countries are particular about RF (Brazil for example).

sfx

Not all HP products do. Example, my fairly new (~20 months old) HP Envy 4t does not have a BIOS white list. I know because I tried slapping in the Intel 1000 I had laying around to try and it worked fine. It shipped with an Intel 2230 in it. Checking the manual, the 1000 was never an option (it lists 2 Intel cards, the 2230 and 6235 and one Broadcom as options). So, based on that I jumped on an Intel 7260, which wasn't even made when my laptop came out. Works a treat (with the right drivers).

So there are at least SOME HP Laptops that do not run a white list. Can't be simply new(er) HP laptops as I have heard some people report their newer HP laptops as well as older ones do have whitelists. Seems to be a very line or even model specific thing. It could also possibly be something with HP simply white listing manufacturers lines entirely.

For the Lenovo, you are probably fine if you look up your Lenovo laptop and see what Wifi cards were offered. If you get one that was offered, you probably will be able to run it without problems.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!