What's new

WPS functionality RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PeterLiljedahl

Occasional Visitor
Hello there, I have this problem with the old RT-AC68U regarding its WPS functionality.
The client dont seem to want to connect in neither Button nor PIN mode.
Searching for this phenomena seems to indicate I am not alone.
Most people probably dont use this function including myself so
it's has probably flown under the radar during the latest firmware releases.
It would be nice if the last update could allow a graceful retirement for the RT-AC68U.
Kindly Peter

What firmware is the RT-AC68U running?
Probably a stupid question but do you have WPS enabled on the RT-AC68U?

Generally many here will recommend disabling WPS unless absolutely necessary as a security measure.

PS: As the above Asus support doc indicates WPS by default (when enabled) uses the 2.4Ghz frequency.
And note that you have have to use Method 2 explained in the support doc if you have the router GUI WPS Client PIN Code selected.

Last edited:
I've fixed starting WPS through the webui, however starting it through the button doesn't work with the stock firmware either on my RT-AC66U_B1 (results may differ on a regular RT-AC68U however).

Yes thanks for the tips regarding the WPS, I run 386.12_4.
Maybe the latest release will have the fix together with a proper reset.
When WPS is enabled and a session started, what would the name be
of the network?
Thanks

When WPS is enabled and a session started, what would the name be
of the network?
WPS does not broadcast a different SSID. With Windows you start the connection process, and instead of entering a passphrase you click on "Start" on the webui to initiate the connection.

But quite frankly, it's 2024 - nobody should have been using WPS in a very long time. Unless you have a 15 years old wireless HP printer that has no other way of connecting to your network. The two Android devices I tested didn't even support WPS at all.

But quite frankly, it's 2024 - nobody should have been using WPS in a very long time.

Does ASUS use WPS to setup wireless AiMesh nodes?

OE

I don't know, the onboarding process is closed source.

In the early days of AiMesh, visible ASUSWRT response indicated that wireless onboarding would not work without WPS being enabled. Later on, visible ASUSWRT response was to automatically enable WPS to proceed with the user's wireless onboarding request.

Then I wired my node and disabled wireless backhauls and have not noticed any further ASUSWRT response with regard to WPS and wireless onboarding... except for reports around here similar to this one where the ASUS app explicitly reports "WPS Failure" in response to a wireless onboarding attempt using Asuswrt-Merlin: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/cant-add-aimesh-nodes.90864/post-916406

If I were using ASUSWRT or Asuswrt-Merlin to onboard wireless nodes today, I believe I would be somebody needing and using WPS in 2024... when it works.

I suggest OP @PeterLiljedahl consider the advice in post #3 above.

OE

In the early days of AiMesh, visible ASUSWRT response indicated that wireless onboarding would not work without WPS being enabled. Later on, visible ASUSWRT response was to automatically enable WPS to proceed with the user's wireless onboarding request.
I know this has been discussed in the past, I just have no way to confirm or deny this behaviour since I don't have access to the onboarding code.

If it does use WPS, keep in mind that's very different from having a user doing it, as the user most certainly has the ability to manually enter a passphrease into his client, unlike an automated process like AiMesh. The modern alternative (IMHO) to WPS is using QR codes.

I know this has been discussed in the past, I just have no way to confirm or deny this behaviour since I don't have access to the onboarding code.

As I see it, WPS is required in 2024 for wireless onboarding. And if the OP really wants to use WPS, they should try using it in stock ASUSWRT.

OE

And if the OP really wants to use WPS, they should try using it in stock ASUSWRT.
No need to. As mentionned above:

I've fixed starting WPS through the webui, however starting it through the button doesn't work with the stock firmware either on my RT-AC66U_B1 (results may differ on a regular RT-AC68U however).

OE

Hello there, I have this problem with the old RT-AC68U regarding its WPS functionality.
The client dont seem to want to connect in neither Button nor PIN mode.
Searching for this phenomena seems to indicate I am not alone.
Most people probably dont use this function including myself so
it's has probably flown under the radar during the latest firmware releases.
It would be nice if the last update could allow a graceful retirement for the RT-AC68U.
Kindly Peter

To follow up this discussion, I installed current ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.386_51685 on my RT-AC68U H/W Ver. C1, Hard Reset the firmware to its default settings, configured/secured the WLANs, and was able to immediately connect my wireless client via all WPS methods... i) the router's hard WPS button; ii) the router's soft WPS button in the webUI; and iii) by entering the client-generated WPS code into the router's webUI and selecting Start. WPS works in current stock ASUSWRT.

OE

Last edited:
To follow up this discussion, I installed current ASUSWRT 3.0.0.4.386_51685 on my RT-AC68U H/W Ver. C1, Hard Reset the firmware to its default settings, configured/secured the WLANs, and was able to immediately connect my wireless client via all WPS methods... i) the router's hard WPS button; ii) the router's soft WPS button in the webUI; and iii) by entering the client-generated WPS code into the router's webUI and selecting Start. WPS works in current stock ASUSWRT.

OE
But the button does not work on the RT-AC66U_B1 even with stock fiormware, I also tested with 386_51685.

The issue there is that the RT-AC66U_B1 and the RT-AC68U share the same firmware, however they have differences in hardware buttons (might possibly have differences in gpio as well). Early revisions of the RT-AC68U for instance had an extra push button that was initially intended to be a Turbo button (but the feature got dropped during development). That push button got replaced with a toggle button in a later revision (used to control LEDs), and was entirely dropped on the RT-AC66U_B1. These button differences might possibly not all be fully handled by the watchdog, which would explain why the WPS button works on the RT-AC68U but not on the RT-AC66U_B1.

But the button does not work on the RT-AC66U_B1 even with stock fiormware, I also tested with 386_51685.

The issue there is that the RT-AC66U_B1 and the RT-AC68U share the same firmware, however they have differences in hardware buttons (might possibly have differences in gpio as well). Early revisions of the RT-AC68U for instance had an extra push button that was initially intended to be a Turbo button (but the feature got dropped during development). That push button got replaced with a toggle button in a later revision (used to control LEDs), and was entirely dropped on the RT-AC66U_B1. These button differences might possibly not all be fully handled by the watchdog, which would explain why the WPS button works on the RT-AC68U but not on the RT-AC66U_B1.

I can't speak to your AC66U button issue. And I've already made my point... the OP should try stock ASUSWRT if they want to use WPS on their AC68U... it works on my AC68U. Maybe they'll have a button issue, too. Maybe not.

OE

But quite frankly, it's 2024 - nobody should have been using WPS in a very long time. Unless you have a 15 years old wireless HP printer

Many smart "things" with single button have WPS only connection option.

the OP should try stock ASUSWRT

From my own testing: AiMesh as a main goal - Asuswrt on all units. Features as a main goal - Asuswrt-Merlin plus nodes on Asuswrt and wired. Last time I played with firmware it was Asuswrt-Merlin 388.6 version and corresponding at the time Asuswrt for RT-AX86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AC68U (RT-AC1900P variant, 386.11?) and I had one ZenWiFi XT8 single unit temporary (GNUton version tested on it). If the main router was running Asuswrt-Merlin the nodes couldn't be found wirelessly, none of the above models. Everithing on Asuswrt even different releases - first try. I still believe the Wiki page claiming Asuswrt-Merlin "full compatibility" with AiMesh is outdated (last revision 2019, AiMesh 1.0 time) and misleading. Has to be corrected to "best effort" with possible workarounds described for whoever wants to try their luck. It's closed source, no way to troubleshoot, no support, no guarantees.

I had written a long-winded answer, but I decided I'm tired of wasting so much of my energy trying to argue with some people. So I'll just summarize it to this:

Asuswrt-Merlin "full compatibility" with AiMesh is outdated
Maybe your information is what's outdated there. The problem that affected most Wifi 6 models was fixed last year, following an Asus engineer investigating it and tracking down the root issue - some components used by the onboarding weren't properly updated by my GPL merge script.

Last edited: