What's new

WRT1900AC vs RT-AC68U vs Nighthawk + NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TenaciousDuck

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

So I'm moving into a new house (woop!) and am wanting to get a new setup for my network. Unfortunately, the best internet I can get is 10Mb/s down & 800Kb/s up. Not the 50/5 I have here, but it'll work!

So I'm beginning to read (tons) of reviews and comparisons between the WRT1900AC, RT-AC68U, and Nighthawk, but cannot decide which one I want. I do music production, so I want to have some great NAS options (whether via Ethernet or USB), and want said NAS solution to have great transfer speeds. Not only for transferring files, but also for streaming, etc. Our house is approximately 1700 sq feet, plus the basement. Here is what I'm looking for:

- Great range within entire house and outside (garage, out back, etc)
- NAS compatibility (all have, noticed WRT1900AC has fastest USB by far)
- Great speeds for file streaming from a USB / NAS
- Quality QoS service
- If USB NAS, must have FTP or some way of 'dragging and dropping' files, remote access to them, streaming options to PC/Xbox/PS3, etc

So what are the thoughts and recommendations based on what I am looking for? I'm not set specifically to any of these routers, but from what I have researched they seem to be best. I like that the WRT1900AC has a fast enough USB 3.0 port to supply well over 40Mb/s write speeds, which I believe would be good enough for a cheap NAS solution, but what I'm worried about is that how do I access those files, can I stream to PCs, Xbox, etc., and can I remote access them? Is there a media server option for a USB NAS solution on this router?

If I go with the Nighthawk or Asus, I'm pretty sure I will have to get a dedicated NAS which is fine, but not preferred as plugging in a USB HDD to the WRT1900AC will yield similar speeds without spending tons on a quality NAS

THANKS everyone!

i recommend creating a poll

i highly recommend R7000

Thanks for the reply!

I would create a poll, but I think my question has too many 'sub questions' to really get across what I am trying to do...

I'm needing a good router with good range and speeds, but also want an NAS solution. If that can be a USB option (cheaper), then I know the WRT1900AC is the one to go with. But, if I can find a good, dedicated NAS, then I need to know which router to go with.

I honestly would like the WRT1900AC just simply because of the fast USB read/write speeds that are above dedicated entry level NAS solutions. My only issue, is that I guess I want to know if when using a USB vs dedicated on the WRT1900AC, if there is a nice GUI for just dragging and dropping files for storage from a PC, accessing on mobile phones, accessing files from anywhere with internet, etc. I want it to be easy to send and view files on the storage device, and I'm not sure if the WRT1900AC has sufficient NAS software to do so - Am I missing something with what I am thinking?

USB connected drives are not NAS drives. (Sorry).

Almost any entry level NAS (Synology or QNAP) will be way faster than even the WRT1900AC connected to an SSD based USB 3.0 enclosure.

Sure, the NAS option is pricey...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=124731#post124731

see my post in the above thread about the value of a NAS...

Initially pricey, but far surpasses the external USB enclosure connected to the router option, in my opinion. And when calculated over the length of service the NAS is expected to provide, the cost is actually cheaper I would think.

I thought that when you plug in a HDD into the 1900AC, it becomes an NAS as the router has software for it?

With the USB speeds, apparently it can achieve 40-60MB/s write... is there any NAS for under $300 that can do the same? I read that article, but I'm not sure I can see all the benefits of using an NAS over the USB option, but you seem knowledgeable.

Would you mind explaining the benefits when I can get comparable speeds on USB?

Thanks so much!

USB connected drives are not NAS drives. (Sorry).

Almost any entry level NAS (Synology or QNAP) will be way faster than even the WRT1900AC connected to an SSD based USB 3.0 enclosure.

Sure, the NAS option is pricey...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=124731#post124731

see my post in the above thread about the value of a NAS...

Initially pricey, but far surpasses the external USB enclosure connected to the router option, in my opinion. And when calculated over the length of service the NAS is expected to provide, the cost is actually cheaper I would think.

A NAS (Like QNAP/Synology) is far more than file serving. Speed is good but is way down the list of important criteria in a NAS.

Could you expand on this a bit? I know they can act as a media server, but my budget is within the $300 range

If you studied the link I supplied, you can find a NAS in the $150 range for your consideration...

Thread can be closed - Opened a Poll Thread as recommended by earlier poster to get some recommendations. Thanks

Last edited:
All 3 - the R7000, AC68U, and WRT1900AC - can FUNCTION as a NAS. The question is really whether or not you WANT to use them that way.

Regardless of which of the 3 you go with, you're not going to get the same robust functionality you're going to get with a standalone NAS.

All 3 - the R7000, AC68U, and WRT1900AC - can FUNCTION as a NAS. The question is really whether or not you WANT to use them that way.

Regardless of which of the 3 you go with, you're not going to get the same robust functionality you're going to get with a standalone NAS.

I appreciate the feedback.

I realize that there is some additional functionality to having a dedicated NAS, but I'm only really needing it for backing up files, viewing them on the go, allowing others to download them (so I dont have to spend ridiculous amount of time uploading them to a cloud), etc. Some streaming, but I'm not sure what benefits I would really get out of a dedicated NAS to be honest. Maybe I don't know because I don't know what benefits there are, will look into it though.
Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback.

I realize that there is some additional functionality to having a dedicated NAS, but I'm only really needing it for backing up files, viewing them on the go, allowing others to download them (so I dont have to spend ridiculous amount of time uploading them to a cloud), etc. Some streaming, but I'm not sure what benefits I would really get out of a dedicated NAS to be honest. Maybe I don't know because I don't know what benefits there are, will look into it though.
Thanks!

You're going to get reliability for one. As I mentioned in the other thread, there's all kinds of user reports in the Netgear forums, for example, of people's drives being corrupted and files/folders just magically disappearing. I can say that the AC68U and WRT1900AC are or are not similar but experience over the years with router-based NAS has been sketchy at best.

If you're wanting to use your NAS for backups, I would recommend finding a reliable solution first and foremost.