What's new

WRT320N Throughput and Range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kiko

New Around Here
Hello there,

This is my first post here. I read an article on SmallNetBuilder about how to evaluate the true performance of your Wireless N Router. Well I got this new Linksys WRT320N and I have it on the 2.4 GHz frequency on mixed mode where I connect with my Intel 5100N card whereas other G devices are also connected to the router. So does that mean I'm losing a lot of performance? Also, it seems the range is the same as my old Linksys WRT54GR router. I was hoping I'd get my whole apartment covered but I don't get even one inch of coverage more than what I had before. Could that be because of the Mixed mode? On the 5GHz frequency I got half the current range.

Thank you for your time everyone.

First of all I would like to thank you for the useful stickies. And now I'm just wondering how useful this Wireless-N technology is. I really don't see any revolutionary leap from G to N knowing that the 5 GHz frequency has a poor range while the 2.4 GHz frequency doesn't offer mind-blowing speeds. After all one can just get a Gigabit router for good transfer speeds. The only reason left I see to buy a wireless N router is when an internet connection exceeds the legacy G 54 mbps limit.

Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.
Thanks

EDIT: Also, I would like to know when and where it is useful to use the 40 MHz Channel Width?

Last edited:
If you are connecting an N client to an N router in a location where you have strong to medium signal strength, you will see higher speed than you would from 11g. 11g typical provides ~ 10 Mbps with medium signal strength, where 11n can provide closer to 30 Mbps.

The real advantage of 11n, and the main thing it was designed for, is providing higher bandwidth in multi-client applications, like busy campuses or businesses. In that case, and with an AP / router that has a fast enough processor, multiple clients can experience 20+ Mbps throughput.

If all you are doing is accessing Internet, then this extra bandwidth might not do you any good with a 10 Mbps downlink speed. But if you're accessing LAN clients, you'll definitely see improved speeds over 11g.

Thanks again for the useful post. I would like to know when and where the 40 MHz channel width is useful. How would I know? I've read that it might only be useful at close distances?

Thanks

Using 40 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band is bad because it hogs virtually the entire spectrum.
It's ok in 5 GHz because there are more non-overlapping channels available.

You should use it only if there are no neighboring networks to interfere with. It provides highest speed boost under strong signal conditions.

It actually reduces your effective range. I've found in my testing that AP and client won't connect in 40MHz mode, in weak signal locations where they will connect in 20 MHz mode.