What's new

wrt54gl replacement (yes I know) Commercial grade?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kanasta

New Around Here
Hello everyone!

Was an looker for some time on this forum, and found a lot of usefull infos so far, hope that I'll find answers and explanations to my questions.

I have 3 level house, 30'X40' in the middle of 100'X40' land.
I had an wrt54gl placed on the 3rd floor, placed centrally on the 30' of my house about 10' from the back brick wall facing the backyard.
Router was flashed with dd-wrt, fan added, and power set to 100mA, stock antennas.

I was able to get full coverage of my proprety even in the basement and even on my cellphone (galaxy note, high end phone) Full coverage (but weak, around 2-5 mbps) signal on my backyard (70' from the router in straight line) and Half full coverage (1-2 mbps and some dropped connections) on my driveway (65' from the router in straight line, but crossing 3 walls).

I was also able to be in the park across the street with my laptop and still have the reception ( ~120') or go with my car on the street on the back of my house (with another house in the way) and at about 140' feet still have reception.

So I bought 2 wndr3700v2 (connected thru rj45, one as router other as AP) placed one in the same place that wrt54gl was and other one about 10' from the front wall of the house but on the second floor. Really disapointed with the range of the 2.4mhz (5mhz can't even cross half of the backyard) on my cellphone. I have 1mbps or lost signal by the end of my backyard.

I have -80dBm signal at 30feet crossing only 1 brick wall, coming from wndr3700.

Went to the same spot with my laptop on the street on the back of my house, can't even see any signal (~140feet)

Then I added asus n66u on the second floor in the central part of my house, Now I can have likely the same coverage as I had with my good old wrt54gl that I bought for $80 in 2006. Sure inside I can have better speeds, as I can connect wirlessly to 3 different sources and somehow have more total brandwith (With family upstairs, kids etc I have close to 22 different Wifi clients) But the range sucks balls. I was expecting to have more for my money that I put on my 3 routers ($300)

I don't care about selling all this crap, and buying something stronger, if stronger exists. Are there any commercial routers, like I saw in mcdonalds or something? I need gigabyle speed for my NAS and some acces restrictions for my kids, I really love ddwrt for be able to block times of acces by MAC adresses. Both my wndr3700 are flashed with ddwrt, my n66u is on the .112 stock firmware. I tried to play with the power output but it seems not to give any signal range boost.

remember: the signal strength at the router/AP (received from client devices) is as important as the other direction (router/AP to client). Too often, people make the mistake of thinking that a stronger from-router/AP signal will cure both directions.

Antenna gain does benefit both directions.

There's no better way to improve coverage than by adding access points at just the right location and connect to router via cat5, MoCA or Homeplug.