What's new

WRT610N loss of performance over time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

F

Fyawn

I am wondering if anyone knows how to prevent the loss of performance after connecting to my network.

I have a WRT610N which is transmitting on 2.4 and 5ghz ranges. When I connect to the 2.4 which I do have set to N, my laptop will connect at a 130mb but over time maybe an hour sometimes minutes the strength of transfer rate drops to 65,78,113, and even all the way to 54 which is G.

When I connect to the 5ghz network I connect at 270 to begin with but it drops down as well. I expect it of the 5ghz radio b/c the range is much smaller than the 2.4. I am using Config Free which came with my Toshiba SLi-5 to monitor the signal strength and connection speed.

I have tried several different channels ranges and it seems to happen in all of them.

Thanks for any information you maybe able to provide.

Does the signal level change or just the reported link rate?

Does your connection feel slower or is it just the reported link rate that is changing?

The signal strength is maxed out on the 2.4 and 2-3 bars on the 5ghz (If I connect to the 5ghz it usuall goes to max signal, but only after connecting to it). The radar app I have in Config free shows that my range from the 2.4 part of the router is like almost right next to the router, but for the 5ghz it is on the last radial of the radar and every now and then comes to the 2nd to last radial

Only the link rate is changing and I do notice a considerale difference in speed.

Also I am only about 35-55 ft away from the router (estimated, it may be even closer). I do have the latest firmware. I am not sure why the 5ghz range is so small. I mean before I even upgraded the firmware I could only get 1 bar with the 5ghz. After the firmware update I was getting the 2-3 bars with the 270mb link rate. I have never gotten the intergrated Intel 4965AGN to get a better than 130mb rate on the 2.4ghz range.

Thanks for the help