What's new

XT12 as Main Router, ET12 as AIMesh Ethernet Backhaul in Office For VR, Cannot Manage 6GHz Band, It Doesn't Even Show in Wireless Advanced Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mower8739

New Around Here
Title is basically it.

I have an XT12 in the central area of my apartment. 2.4GHz set up for my IoT, cell phones and Google Home speakers connect to 5GHz-1, and 5GHz-2 set up specifically for PCVR and VR headsets.

I purchased an ET12 and positioned it in my Office. Ethernet backhaul enabled and set up as AIMesh node. The 2.4GHz helps extend the IoT network. I've set up the 5GHz band to extend 5GHz-2 specifically for VR and the 6GHz band is set up for VR as well (Quest Pro for example has 6E).

Problem is, there's literally no section I can go into to change the 6GHz band settings. It doesn't exist within the Advanced Wireless config (only shows 2.4, 5-1, and 5-2).

The only thing I can do is turn the 6GHz radio on and off which is buried all the way in the right Topology settings of the main AIMesh page:

202407292146.jpg

202407292151.jpg

I can't change the name of the 6GHz band, or adjust anything. This has to be a bug. I know my use-case is specific but I can't be the only one running into this.

I thought maybe I could go through and set up the ET12 and configure everything, then switch it to AIMesh Node in the main settings, and then connect it. But the moment I want to set it up as an AIMesh Node, everything is wiped and it's factory reset.

What gives? Anyone know the solution?

In a mesh, the main router rules. The xt12 has no six band therefore it is like a language it hasn’t learned.

In a mesh, the main router rules. The xt12 has no six band therefore it is like a language it hasn’t learned.

If I added the ET12 as a normal AP I could configure each radio yes? Then I guess I could make same 2.4GHz and 5-1GHz SSIDs configured on different channels and accomplish basically the same thing?

Thank you. I've actually been messing around a bit, as I was able to snag a deal on a GT-AXE16000. I think it will offer me more flexibility for the future and line me up for more control. Still needs to be seen whether it's better in AIMesh or AP Mode (still can't really find what the difference is at the end of the day other than viewing both pieces of hardware from a single interface but with less control).

Little funny thing I found:

I didn't want the 6GHz radio on the GT-AXE16000 on as it's not necessary since I only want 6E in the Office for VR. What's really strange is if you disable the 6GHz radio from the main Wireless → Professional section, you would think it would populate to both the router and the nodes, but it's not the case.

If you then go to the Node's AIMesh section under Management you can enable the 6GHz radio. That way I have the radio only on in the office. I confirmed through a WiFi scanner app that the GT-AXE16000 6GHz AP (verified MAC) dropped off. I also disabled the 2.4GHz radio on the node so everything is coming from the main router since that signal propagates further and no need for overlapping APs.

I'm assuming changing the settings of the 6GHz radio even though it's technically "Disabled" will apply to the Node's 6GHz radio. Haven't confirmed that yet. I mean, at this point tweaking the AIMesh like this is probably defeating its purpose.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!