What's new

XT9 Guest Network Devices Seeing Each Other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

infiniteloop8

New Around Here
Hi, I just picked up an XT9 with an XT9 Node. So far the mesh and signal strength and even the speeds are working great. The one thing I can't see to wrap my head around is the Wifi Guest Setup. I searched, but can't seem to find an applicable solution.

PROBLEM:
Devices in any Guest network (in either of the 3 columns and any of the Bands) basically cannot reach other Devices, but I can ping them within its subnet using AngryIP. On the first Column, they will get assigned a 192.168.x.x subnet. On the 2nd/3rd colums those networks will get assigned my LAN subnet of 10.0.0.x.

What I need is any device on the guest networks to be able to see AND connect to each other. I've confirmed that AP Isolation is DISABLED. MUMIMO is also disabled and Airtime Fairness is DISABLED. I've also rebooted after changes.

IF I were to Enable "ACCESS INTRANET" on ANY guest network, it will assign the 10.0.0.x subnet to that network (namely the first column, as the 2nd and 3rd are already assigned that) and THEN it will let me access other devices on that Guest Network. The problem is also allows me to access any device on my LAN and Primary Wifi, which I don't want. I just want devices within their own guest network to be able to access each other within that subnet or Guest wifi, but not be able to access the LAN or Main wifi devices.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! TIA

Hi, I just picked up an XT9 with an XT9 Node. So far the mesh and signal strength and even the speeds are working great. The one thing I can't see to wrap my head around is the Wifi Guest Setup. I searched, but can't seem to find an applicable solution.

PROBLEM:
Devices in any Guest network (in either of the 3 columns and any of the Bands) basically cannot reach other Devices, but I can ping them within its subnet using AngryIP. On the first Column, they will get assigned a 192.168.x.x subnet. On the 2nd/3rd colums those networks will get assigned my LAN subnet of 10.0.0.x.

What I need is any device on the guest networks to be able to see AND connect to each other. I've confirmed that AP Isolation is DISABLED. MUMIMO is also disabled and Airtime Fairness is DISABLED. I've also rebooted after changes.

IF I were to Enable "ACCESS INTRANET" on ANY guest network, it will assign the 10.0.0.x subnet to that network (namely the first column, as the 2nd and 3rd are already assigned that) and THEN it will let me access other devices on that Guest Network. The problem is also allows me to access any device on my LAN and Primary Wifi, which I don't want. I just want devices within their own guest network to be able to access each other within that subnet or Guest wifi, but not be able to access the LAN or Main wifi devices.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! TIA

Oh no, it would seem that #13 and #15 here suggests that guest wifi are either ALL able to see the entire network or NOT at ALL and it's just a limitation with how Asus configure their HW. I don't even think I can install the Merlin FW on an XT9 at this point to try to work around that.

Wow, if that's the case, this seem like a huge oversight.

Welcome.
It would likely help if you post the firmware version your XT9's are running.
And it would help if you post some readable screenshots of what you are seeing and your WiFi settings. You are talking about columns without giving any context or screen captures showing what the columns are or on which GUI page you are on.

There have been others who had the same issue of Guest Network clients not being able to see or communicate with each other with certain Asus routers and certain Asus firmware. One common suggestion is to check the Guest Network they are on. If using Guest Network #1, move to using Guest Network #2 or #3 instead. On certain Asus routers the firmware treats Guest Network #1 differently and if I remember right uses GN #1 for AiMesh nodes. Another option is to roll back to earlier firmware (if possible) to see if the issue is resolved. Another suggestion for Asus Merlin supported routers is to use the YazFi addon script, but YazFi does not support AiMesh/nodes it only works on the main router.

Thanks for the follow up and the tips. I tried moving the Guest Network around to different "slots" and still no dice. It was an either/or proposition as suggested by the link I posted. Unfortunately, I do need the mesh feature so even if I could install Merlin (which doesn't seem to be the case on this model), it'd be a moot point.

I ended up switching to a different Router/Brand that supports vLans within the different Wifi Networks and that took care of my issue. It allows everyone else to see each other, but prevents those users on different wifi networks from seeing the primary wifi and it's LAN devices.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!