What's new

ZEN WIFI Pro ET12 AIMesh (weird MAC address)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RetiredInFl

Occasional Visitor
Hi ... just got a new ZEN WIFI Pro ET12 AIMesh.. Actually 2, the 2nd one is an AIMesh node vie ethernet backhaul. Previously had a GX-AX11000 Pro with an XT8 AIMsh node.

Anyway, a strange MAC address has appeared 22:03:46:BB:0F:67 and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Every other address is accounted for against the list from the router this just replaced. I have tried EVERY MAC lookup I could fine to see what this might It shows as a 5G WiFi connection with a very strong signal. I tried blocking it and as soon as I did my entire WiFi network shut down.

Anyone familiar with this router system can identify this. I am GUESSING it is some sort of internal hardware address but I haven't been able to figure where it is from. The first 6 pair doesn't come even closeto any of the other 32 devices connected.

MAC.jpeg

Hi ... just got a new ZEN WIFI Pro ET12 AIMesh.. Actually 2, the 2nd one is an AIMesh node vie ethernet backhaul. Previously had a GX-AX11000 Pro with an XT8 AIMsh node.

Anyway, a strange MAC address has appeared 22:03:46:BB:0F:67 and for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Every other address is accounted for against the list from the router this just replaced. I have tried EVERY MAC lookup I could fine to see what this might It shows as a 5G WiFi connection with a very strong signal. I tried blocking it and as soon as I did my entire WiFi network shut down.

Anyone familiar with this router system can identify this. I am GUESSING it is some sort of internal hardware address but I haven't been able to figure where it is from. The first 6 pair doesn't come even closeto any of the other 32 devices connected.

View attachment 59337

Devices these days can use random MAC addresses... could be one of your own mobile devices... hence the very strong signal(?).

OE

Devices these days can use random MAC addresses... could be one of your own mobile devices... hence the very strong signal(?).

OE
Nope. Checked every device and all other items I own and they all matched up to list from previous router. This is an “extra” device that popped up after the new router was installed. That plus I always turn off all “private” address options on all my Apple devices but nothing else has changed, just replaced router and mesh node.

Start turning off Wi-Fi on your devices and see when this one will disappear. It's an AX-class device and close to the router.

Nope. Checked every device and all other items I own and they all matched up to list from previous router. This is an “extra” device that popped up after the new router was installed. That plus I always turn off all “private” address options on all my Apple devices but nothing else has changed, just replaced router and mesh node.
Know you can't place much confidence in the icons used, but the one in your picture reminds me of a fitness tracker (like a FitBit or Apple watch or something similar). Just a thought . . .

Are you using 10.0.0.* IP addresses?

OE

It's a valid private IP range, but other than /24 may mess up the Client List additionally.

Are you using 10.0.0.* IP addresses?

OE
Yes. 10.0.0.1 LAN

Strange part was when I blacklisted it's MAC my entire WIFI network immediately disappeared which leads me to believe it is somehow connected to the new Router & Mesh node yet I looked at all their posted MAC and IP addresses and this one isn't there. I will have to shut down everything room by room until it disappears then add back devices except I can't remove the router. :). I am also 99% sure I checked every device.

Yes. 10.0.0.1 LAN

Strange part was when I blacklisted it's MAC my entire WIFI network immediately disappeared which leads me to believe it is somehow connected to the new Router & Mesh node yet I looked at all their posted MAC and IP addresses and this one isn't there. I will have to shut down everything room by room until it disappears then add back devices except I can't remove the router. :). I am also 99% sure I checked every device.

That's what I assumed... your OP topic "weird IP address" is not what you meant. However... I wonder what a Hard Reset and minimal configuration with a more often IP Pool of 192.168.50.* or 192.168.1.* would yield... may only affect the unpredictable Client List.

OE

Last edited:
That's what I assumed... your OP topic "weird IP address" is not what you meant. However... I wonder what a Hard Reset and minimal configuration with a more often IP Pool of 192.168.50.* or 192.168.1.* would yield... may only affect the unpredictable Client List.

OE
Yea DUH ... I meant MAC. I'll have to fix that. :D

6E devices can do MLO, that would have to be my next suspect/group of suspects. It's not your device you're using the ASUS Router app on?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!