What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24243 (2024/05/13)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ericthefish

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24243
Version 3.0.0.4.388_24243
71.49 MB
2024/05/13
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed the ARP poisoning vulnerability. Thanks to the contribution of Xin'an Zhou.
- Fixed code execution in custom OVPN. Thanks to the contrubution of Jacob Baines.
- Fixed the injection vulnerability in AiCloud.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow in lighttpd. Special thanks to Viktor Edstrom.
- Fixed CVE-2023-35720
- Fixed the code execution vulnerability in AiCloud. Thanks to the contribution of chumen77.
- Fixed the XSS and Self-reflected HTML injection vulnerability. Thanks to the contrubution of Redfox Cyber Security.
- Fixed CVE-2024-3079 and CVE-2024-3080. Special thanks to Weiming Shi
*Please be advised that due to a security upgrade in AiMesh, we strongly recommend against downgrading to previous firmware versions, as this may lead to connection issues. Should you encounter any difficulties, resetting the AiMesh router to its default settings and re-establishing the mesh connection can resolve the problem.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: d4d260f55e62c8404e743e0660117049eaea6946dfa4c1f111c280bd6efaa046

I'm not sure why this model is lagging so far behind the others...

It is old, it is stable, no need for more (from Asus' point of view).

Right... But (for example) I have a lower end AX3000 as well- it is at 3.0.0.4.388_24762.

(not that I really care about new features. As long as it is getting the security updates, I'm good, and that is what this looks like to me...)

I had some running around to do today but after I got home updated when I had time to sit, and so far no issues, everything came back u after the reboot without any noticeable issues. I checked here first after seeing the update and reading the release notes and since no immediate problems were reported, went for it. So far, so good.

Seems to be working here as well, in a AIMesh environment with AX86U as the master, and AX86S and AC86U as mesh nodes.

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24243
Version 3.0.0.4.388_24243
71.49 MB
2024/05/13
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed the ARP poisoning vulnerability. Thanks to the contribution of Xin'an Zhou.
- Fixed code execution in custom OVPN. Thanks to the contrubution of Jacob Baines.
- Fixed the injection vulnerability in AiCloud.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow in lighttpd. Special thanks to Viktor Edstrom.
- Fixed CVE-2023-35720
- Fixed the code execution vulnerability in AiCloud. Thanks to the contribution of chumen77.
- Fixed the XSS and Self-reflected HTML injection vulnerability. Thanks to the contrubution of Redfox Cyber Security.
- Fixed CVE-2024-3079 and CVE-2024-3080. Special thanks to Weiming Shi
*Please be advised that due to a security upgrade in AiMesh, we strongly recommend against downgrading to previous firmware versions, as this may lead to connection issues. Should you encounter any difficulties, resetting the AiMesh router to its default settings and re-establishing the mesh connection can resolve the problem.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: d4d260f55e62c8404e743e0660117049eaea6946dfa4c1f111c280bd6efaa046

I'm not sure why this model is lagging so far behind the others...
if you are concerned about the GPL version, consider upgrading to the latest Merlin firmware (3004_388.7_0), which integrated GPL 388_24353. Merlin firmware has been using this GPL version since January 2024 (i.e., 3004_388.6_0 release)

Last edited:
if you are concerned about the GPL version, consider upgrading to the latest Merlin firmware (3004_388.7_0), which integrated GPL 388_24353. Merlin firmware has been using this GPL version since January 2024 (i.e., 3004_388.6_0 release)
Is there any reason to use Merlin's firmware over the stock these days? The biggest reason I've been aware of was when it had features people wanted the stock didn't have. That seems to have changed though, hasn't it, where Asus has put more of what's in Merlin into stock?

The features are mere bonuses.

The fixes and tweaks that RMerlin firmware provides warrant more than enough reasons to run it (even at defaults).

The reliability, stability and performance of an Asus/RMerlin-powered network is superior to running stock firmware, handsdown.

The features are mere bonuses.

The fixes and tweaks that RMerlin firmware provides warrant more than enough reasons to run it (even at defaults).

The reliability, stability and performance of an Asus/RMerlin-powered network is superior to running stock firmware, handsdown.
Well, that's why I asked because I was aware of that a couple years ago. It sounded however, like Asus had started closing those gaps with the updates they've made. That's the impression i had gotten following the conversations from time to time on the firmware updates.

Looking at this logically, what benefit/enjoyment would RMerlin be getting from re-issuing stock firmware without needing to 'fix' things beforehand (even with the great/wonderful ecosystem Eric's firmware has created, along with amtm and all the script devs).

I don't run stock firmware for more than it takes to flash RMerlin's work onto Asus routers. That is how stable it is. And while I was religiously testing/comparing stock/RMerlin firmware a very long time ago, I don't need to do that now. Here and there I am asked to fix an (unstable) network with an Asus router that is RMerlin compatible. When flashed with RMerlin firmware and properly setup, the complaints simply stopped coming (and the latest example of just that was just a few weeks ago).

Is there any reason to use Merlin's firmware over the stock these days?

If you don't need complicated VPN configurations, you are not interested in Custom Scripts and have mixed routers AiMesh - stay on stock Asuswrt. Everything else is available in stock Asuswrt one way or another and it has better compatibility with Asus App. I know many people prefer the App to control their router and it works well.

If you don't need complicated VPN configurations, you are not interested in Custom Scripts and have mixed routers AiMesh - stay on stock Asuswrt. Everything else is available in stock Asuswrt one way or another and it has better compatibility with Asus App. I know many people prefer the App to control their router and it works well.
Yeah, I was going to say. I just need the 2 bands 5Ghz, and 2.4, a guest network for the lights and some standard features like UpNP, etc to manage the network. Didn't think Merlin's firmware would do anything for me over stock in these areas.

Didn't think Merlin's firmware would do anything for me over stock in these areas.

You're good, no need to change the firmware. I haven't tried this version yet, the previous one had some quirks here and there, but overall very stable for average basic configurations most people use. Keep it simple and it will serve you well. If you have no issues - go out and enjoy the summer.

You're good, no need to change the firmware. I haven't tried this version yet, the previous one had some quirks here and there, but overall very stable for average basic configurations most people use. Keep it simple and it will serve you well. If you have no issues - go out and enjoy the summer.
Yep, I've been able to set and forget the router pretty much I worked out any issues I had and it's just sat there and has done it's job without issues. Thanks for the clarification and feedback.

Edited on 21 May 2024: I redownloaded the firmware from asus official site, flash it again and did a factory reset then I set it up again as new, problem solved.

After upgrading to this version, the WireGuard VPN is not working anymore (was working fine before).

Here is my configuration:
WireGuard Server: ASUS RT-AX86U with 3.0.0.4.388_24243 (2024/05/13) IP: 192.168.11.1
WireGuard Client: ASUS XT8 with 3.0.0.4.388_24621 (2024/03/19) IP: 192.168.1.1

Both Scenarios 1, 2 or 3 didn't work. - [Wireless Router] How to set up site to site VPN with WireGuard®? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Now I can only access WireGuard server router (IP: 192.168.11.1) from client's network. I can't access the whole subnet.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!