What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Double Hop VPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rickety Jim

New Around Here
Am I misinformed or just messing up?

I have an ASUS RT-AX86U Pro and I am trying to take advantage of its VPN capabilities. On the router I am running a WireGuard VPN server and connecting to an external VPN (Proton), also via WireGuard and VPN Fusion. I run a PiHole on my network as a DNS server for ad blocking. Both VPN connections work correctly and ads are blocked as expected.

I would like to be able to VPN into my LAN from my iPhone and send all traffic out from my home router to the Proton VPN and then out to the internet.

When I visit ipleak.net on a device connected to my LAN (including my iPhone), the IP address I am shown is the IP address provided by my VPN provider. When I am using my iPhone and I VPN into the ASUS router with WireGuard, and I visit ipleak.net, the IP address I am shown is the IP address assigned by my internet provider (Verizon).

What am I doing wrong? My friend says he’s accomplished this double hop (correct terminology?) VPN approach on his network with the same routers and 3rd party VPN service, except he’s got an android device. I believe this should be possible but clearly I'm missing something. I've attached screenshots with some relevant screens but would be happy to provide more/additional to help troubleshoot.

WireGuard Server running ASUS router
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.38.51 PM.png

VPN Fusion on ASUS router

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.38.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.39.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.39.27 PM.png

It seems like this thread is also discussing the same issue.

I've installed Merlin 388.6 on my router and set up VPN Director as follows:
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 8.44.11 PM.png

Based on the images in my first post 10.6.0.1/32 is address for my VPN server tunnel. However, I'm still seeing my WAN IP when I visit ipleak.net on a remote VPN connection.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!