What's new

Asus ZenWIFI XT8 - Wired backhaul fails after after a few hours (only 1 of 2 nodes)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laurinkeithdavis

New Around Here
I bought 3 Asus ZenWIFI XT8 units from Amazon - one 2-pack and one 1-pack. Both of the ones configured as nodes are configured with wired backhaul - connecting the 2.5GB WAN of the nodes to the LAN port of the router (using a 1GB switch). One of the nodes keeps failing on the wired backhaul - the LED light turns red. The one that fails the router is from the 2-pack. The third unit, the second node, which I bought separately, has given me zero trouble. When the node backhaul fails, I unplug the ethernet cable from the 2.5GB WAN port and then plug it back in. If I do that, the light turns white almost immediately and works fine for a few hours, and then fails again. If I restart the node, it goes into sync mode (blue flashing) forever. The only other way to make it reconnect is to factory reset, and then it works again....for a few hours, and then fails. I'm about to box them all backup and send them back to Amazon, I'm within the return window, and try a different brand (probably Netgear Orbi). I love the configuration and performance of the XT8s, but I have no idea how to fix these. I've worked in network administration for 20 years and I'm at a loss. I guess this one is defective, but I've already had trouble with 2 other sets (2 different TP-Link sets, and not the same issues, those units worked great, but the app suuuuuuuuuuucks).

EDIT 1:

All three of the devices are on firmware 3.0.0.4.388_24621. I’ve only had the devices for about five days and this has been happening since the beginning.

EDIT 2:
Failed again this morning. I just swapped the location of 2 nodes to see if it's a cable or switch port issue. I doubt it is - I have had other satellite units from different mesh hardware attached to these for years with no issues.

Last edited:
if you switch the 2 nodes, is it the same node that fail ? (to be sure it s not a wire/route problem)

if you switch the 2 nodes, is it the same node that fail ? (to be sure it s not a wire/route problem)
Thanks. I'm already testing that theory, switched about an hour ago, can take up to 8 hours to fail. However, this is costing me so much time, I might just abandon all of it and switch to this new Netgear Orbi set here on my test, or revert to my TP-Link Deco set, as even though the app sucks, the network was much more stable.