What's new

AX58u Power Failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mike06

Occasional Visitor
A few nights ago my friend lost power in his neighborhood. He has his AX58U plugged into a surge protected battery backup. His router lost power and he had to manually restart it when the power came back on. His modem continued to stay on all thru the power lost and when it came back on. His router was plugged into a battery backup outlet on the power supply. Just wondering why it shut down and then had to be powdered back on using the switch on the back of the router. Any Ideas?

Any Ideas?

Tell your friend to unplug the AC power and test what happens. If one device stays on and another doesn't - one of the power supplies doesn't like the waveform the UPS generates. Cheaper UPS models are square/modified waveform, mid-range are stepped/simulated sine waveform, more expensive models are true sine waveform.

1714861519547.png

Tell your friend to unplug the AC power and test what happens. If one device stays on and another doesn't - one of the power supplies doesn't like the waveform the UPS generates. Cheaper UPS models are square/modified waveform, mid-range are stepped/simulated sine waveform, more expensive models are true sine waveform.

View attachment 58463
Thanks I was not aware of that being possible.

There are many different power supplies and UPS devices. Some have thermal protection, square waveform heats them up more. What exactly is happening I don't know. It is possible the particular power supply or the UPS are on a lower end of quality tolerances and just don't work well together. Your friend will tell you after testing.

View attachment 58463
thanks good info , if only true sine wave were not so bloody expensive I settle for mid range so far they have worked with my equipment

I personally use APC Back-UPS CS 500 series at home. It's a stepped approximation wave UPS, usually available in many places, relatively compact in size, not very expensive and works well with household electronics. It can be placed horizontally or vertically, has USB port for health monitoring. Every 2 years I replace the batteries on schedule for 4x identical units. As per specifications the battery has to hold 4-6 years, but in reality they lose capacity faster. Compatible brand batteries around here are $30/piece.

This thing, also available in black color:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!