What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, May 09, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

how, or if, Diversion works/interacts with DNS Director. Does DNS Director need to be used to get full benefit of Diversion?
DNS Director would enforce all devices on the LAN to use the router as the DNS resolver, even if they are configured with other DNS settings. This assumes the Director global mode is set to “Router” and LAN DHCP DNS is blank.

Most clients will use the router willingly, so there isn’t a notable difference usually from turning it on.

DNS Director would enforce all devices on the LAN to use the router as the DNS resolver, even if they are configured with other DNS settings. This assumes the Director global mode is set to “Router” and LAN DHCP DNS is blank.

Most clients will use the router willingly, so there isn’t a notable difference usually from turning it on.
Ahh, thanks. Yeah, my clients use the router as the DNS server, so this explains why I didn't see much difference with DNS Director enabled or disabled.

Cheers!

Ahh, thanks. Yeah, my clients use the router as the DNS server, so this explains why I didn't see much difference with DNS Director enabled or disabled.

Cheers!
I always set "Global Redirection" on my main router to "Router". As you found you'll notice no difference and so do I.
This is just a precautionary setting I use so that all devices and apps/browsers on my LAN use Dnsmasq to resolve domains.

I always set "Global Redirection" on my main router to "Router". As you found you'll notice no difference and so do I.
This is just a precautionary setting I use so that all devices and apps/browsers on my LAN use Dnsmasq to resolve domains.
Thanks for the feedback. I may do that as well.

Use the large list, no additional list. It’s maintainer is very diligent not to block acces to legitimate websites. That‘s the reason I selected his small list as the new default.
Looks like something worked itself out... the large list is working perfectly now (no complaints from the fam). ;)

Looks like something worked itself out... the large list is working perfectly now (no complaints from the fam). ;)
Its the power of diversion. You know @thelonelycoder has tried the hardest to wife-proof and fam-proof diversion. All else fails, create a secondary blocklist that uses "less" blocking. Force the wife and kids devices to the secondary blocklists dns using DNS Director. One feature @thelonelycoder should consider is creating a IPV6 address for the secondary blocklist similarly to how an ipv4 address is generated for it since DNS Director now supports adding a custom ipv6 on most the newer models.... (as a work temporary around, users can already use a mapped Ipv4 to ipv6 addresses for DNS Director IPV6...) <<<--- this is assuming diversion still supports secondary blocklist feature...

Last edited:
did try to find out about this, but here it is:

wasn't there a reserved pixelserv IP Address?
Did an ip scan and it doesn't show up anymore.
Maybe pixelserv is not enabled?
had to reinstall all after SD card failure.

RT-AC68, 386.12_4, I think the standard Diversion version(?)

The list owner is so confident in his list that he offers a form to report false positive!

From the oisd.nl homepage: "You shouldn't find any false positives! In fact, I dare you to report any ;)"

Last edited:
did try to find out about this, but here it is:

wasn't there a reserved pixelserv IP Address?
Did an ip scan and it doesn't show up anymore.
Maybe pixelserv is not enabled?
had to reinstall all after SD card failure.

RT-AC68, 386.12_4, I think the standard Diversion version(?)
Pixelserv is no longer included with Diversion. (See the latest release notes).

For all of you that are benefiting from the newly integrated oisd.nl lists, consider a donation to Stephan, the maintainer of the lists, via Paypal (there are additional donation links at the bottom of the oisd.nl homepage).

For all of you that are benefiting from the newly integrated oisd.nl lists, consider a donation to Stephan, the maintainer of the lists, via Paypal (there are additional donation links at the bottom of the oisd.nl homepage).
This Mr. oisd (Stephan) runs or at least tested Diversion. On the setup page https://oisd.nl/setup/diversion if you select Diversion in the drop-down a clear instruction is given to change from the Standard to the Large blocking list. Standard uses the small, while large uses the big oisd list.

I just installed unbound using the default configs after installing diversion. Is there anything I need to do? Everything seems to be working well, just wanted to make sure I am getting ad blocking through Diversion and dns lookups through unbound. Thanks for the help!

I just installed unbound using the default configs after installing diversion. Is there anything I need to do? Everything seems to be working well, just wanted to make sure I am getting ad blocking through Diversion and dns lookups through unbound. Thanks for the help!
You answered your own question. Never touch a running system.

Planning on trying the large list, I see the tip about using a swap file and was wondering if it's for all the routers or if the extra memory of the RT-AX88U Pro can run this without a swap file? I don't run any other script. Anyone have tried on a Pro model without the swap file?

Planning on trying the large list, I see the tip about using a swap file and was wondering if it's for all the routers or if the extra memory of the RT-AX88U Pro can run this without a swap file? I don't run any other script. Anyone have tried on a Pro model without the swap file?
2GB. Give the RAM some room to breathe.

2GB. Give the RAM some room to breathe.
I second this, that ram definitely needs some breathing room when users are pushing the routers to their memory confined limits.
1706580198959.png

The image above is from running Adguardhome, skynet, ntpmerlin, connmon, scmerlin, flexqos, and yazdhcp.

Last edited:
I just switched from standard to large for the sake of science. No swap. Plenty of memory.
Code:
# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1018788     577800     440988       4484       3904      37912
-/+ buffers/cache:     535984     482804
Swap:            0          0          0
what other scripts/router features are you running? I could easily agree with these numbers if all you were running was diversion + large list.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!