What's new

Solved Internet dropping out frequently (RT-AC87U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @user42.

You are using firmware from 2021/05/18 on a router that is EOL for many years today.

This model is known to be buggy and finicky, even when it was supported. I would suggest you find a replacement asap.

Yes may 5th also for me. Some kind of reboot issue. But I don't know what triggers it.

I'm in dialogue with ASUS technical service, who are helping out on resolving the issue. Will report back, if and when I hear news.
Yet the problem is, that the AC87U is end of life, so as we know, nothing new will come to the router.
Here also the 5th of may. (Mexican thing? ;) )

Hi everyone and nice to meet you all!

I have the same issue with my RT-AC87u, starting few month ago. I tried to install also a KIWI log-server to see the logs in the moment of rebooting, opened multiple ssh connection and monitor in the same time the CPU load, processes, other logs etc. but nothing seem to indicate why the crush/sudden reboot.
Then i searched many hours over the internet and, even on the official ASUS site the last firmware is 3.0.0.4.382_52545-ga0245cc , there seem to be newer versions too according to this security sites:

So, it seems that all versions bellow 3.0.0.386.xxx are afected... and we are on 3.0.0.382... The problem is that i am not able to find any 3.0.0.386 version and i wonder why...because now i am sure they exist.. Maybe even newer than 3.0.0.0386.46061..

BTW, i do not think that it has something to do with Win updates, but with browsers, mostly with chrome (at least in my case). I observed that this occurred very often when i used chrome and left a lot of tabs open over night, then the second day, as i was trying to refresh one page, all of the sudden the router was rebooting it (buffer-overflow? broadcast-storm?).
I reset the router to default, did new settings from the scratch: new users-names, new passwords, new ssid-s etc.. I even hide the ssid, and put MAC filtering..nothing helped until now. But i am very sure it is a software problem, hence the router is rebooting also at 3 A.M. when everyone was sleeping in the house... (i exclude power problems, hence the router is connected to an UPS and next to it it's a 8port switch witch does not reboot, but maybe could be the router power adapter faulty?? -Also hard to belive since so many people are complaining about the same issue in the same time..)

Last edited:
According to my internet service provider, it is complete BS, what ASUS technical support is saying, that ASUS routers (including AC87U) can't handle IP adresses that start with either 10 or 100. I've had a IP with 100 for a long time and used the ac87u for many years. But only recently have had my issues like the rest of you. MUST be a asus issue.

Am now using a different router (provided from the service provider) to test. An Icotera router. So far no issues at all. Been running for two days now. So again, must be an ASUS issue.

Latest mail I got from ASUS is, that they want me to send feedback directly from the ASUS router. So I'm gonna do that.

According to my internet service provider, it is complete BS, what ASUS technical support is saying, that ASUS routers (including AC87U) can't handle IP adresses that start with either 10 or 100. I've had a IP with 100 for a long time and used the ac87u for many years. But only recently have had my issues like the rest of you. MUST be a asus issue.

Am now using a different router (provided from the service provider) to test. An Icotera router. So far no issues at all. Been running for two days now. So again, must be an ASUS issue.

Latest mail I got from ASUS is, that they want me to send feedback directly from the ASUS router. So I'm gonna do that.
Nonsens what ASUS said. My IP does not start with 10 nor 100.

What ASUS AX router would you suggest, that is not buggy?

With the almost infinite configurations and environments possible, they're all buggy.

The best bang for the buck router worth buying today (and expecting to get several year's worth of use out of it) is the RT-AX88U PRO.

With the almost infinite configurations and environments possible, they're all buggy.

The best bang for the buck router worth buying today (and expecting to get several year's worth of use out of it) is the RT-AX88U PRO.
Yeah, was actually looking at exactly that model. Thanks

Just to fill in some blanks....

My RT-AX88U has F/W 384.19 (I know it is old, but it is stable). I did roll back to 384.18 just to check, and install a fresh copy, and it still rebooted.
It sits behind my ISP router, and the WAN IP is 192.168.0.1, with an internal LAN range of 192.168.0.x
The windows 11 laptop is the only device that seems to trigger the router to reboot. Other wired and wireless Windows 10 and android devices (and Iot devices) do not trigger this.
I've investigated as far as I can on the laptop side (updated and/or replaced drivers), run the suggested commands from MS. It still happens now and then and does not seem related to a particular task.
I do run Chrome, do not keep tabs open, do close the lid to let the laptop sleep (no issues when sleeping). I have ublock origins plugin and gmail checker only. I've had a reboot without Chrome running, so do not believe it is related.
I do allow and install all available MS updates.
I don't run any additional anti-virus.

Since this seems to be a larger issue, and others have reported no effect, I'm not going to bother reconfiguring the router from scratch at this point.

Very strange. Started roughly a month ago. Based on the feedback so far, I blame MS :)

Hi everyone and nice to meet you all!

I have the same issue with my RT-AC87u, starting few month ago. I tried to install also a KIWI log-server to see the logs in the moment of rebooting, opened multiple ssh connection and monitor in the same time the CPU load, processes, other logs etc. but nothing seem to indicate why the crush/sudden reboot.
Then i searched many hours over the internet and, even on the official ASUS site the last firmware is 3.0.0.4.382_52545-ga0245cc , there seem to be newer versions too according to this security sites:

So, it seems that all versions bellow 3.0.0.386.xxx are afected... and we are on 3.0.0.382... The problem is that i am not able to find any 3.0.0.386 version and i wonder why...because now i am sure they exist.. Maybe even newer than 3.0.0.0386.46061..

BTW, i do not think that it has something to do with Win updates, but with browsers, mostly with chrome (at least in my case). I observed that this occurred very often when i used chrome and left a lot of tabs open over night, then the second day, as i was trying to refresh one page, all of the sudden the router was rebooting it (buffer-overflow? broadcast-storm?).
I reset the router to default, did new settings from the scratch: new users-names, new passwords, new ssid-s etc.. I even hide the ssid, and put MAC filtering..nothing helped until now. But i am very sure it is a software problem, hence the router is rebooting also at 3 A.M. when everyone was sleeping in the house... (i exclude power problems, hence the router is connected to an UPS and next to it it's a 8port switch witch does not reboot, but maybe could be the router power adapter faulty?? -Also hard to belive since so many people are complaining about the same issue in the same time..)
What exactly indicates that the router reboots based on the router system log? How do you know it reboots at 3 am?

Yeah, the power adapter. I have not tried to replace it yet. But I do also think it is some kind of firmware/software issue instead. I can't pinpoint it to Chrome, windows, or the router itself.

I have had a different router run for 3 days, with no issues at all. Just now I plugged in the ac87u router instead to test, and all of a sudden I got disconnected again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!