What's new

Netgear AP Dead, What to replace it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mgraves

Regular Contributor
This week my Netgear wireless N router went down. I had it replaced under warranty in the spring, so this is the second failure in 18 months. Time to move on to something more robust, the question is what exactly?

I don't need a router, just an N type AP. Should I go for Cisco/Linksys commercial grade gear? I don't do streaming HDTV or anything fancy. Just a few laptops & streaming music devices. Need N type for WMM capability.

Suggestions?

Michael

I don't think you need to go with commercial grade gear.
Which model died? Do you need dual-band?

Used to recommend the D-Link DIR-655 for a single-band N router. But D-Link is going through a firmware transition that is causing many users pain.

You might look at the Cisco/Linksys WRT160N for a basic single-band N router.

The failed device is a WNR-854T. I don't need dual band. I really just want an AP. It services three laptops/netbooks and three Squeezeboxes.

If I were a little more forward looking, and better funded, I might prefer something that was POE capable. I was would like to run more of my office via a larger POE switch in order to consolidate and extend my UPS arrangement.

I suppose that any router/AP could be run via POE with a suitable regulated power splitter.

Last edited:
The failed device is a WNR-854T. I don't need dual band. I really just want an AP. It services three laptops/netbooks and three Squeezeboxes.
If you don't need to cover much range, the Linksys (or pretty much any single band N router will do.

I suppose that any router/AP could be run via POE with a suitable regulated power splitter.
Correct. I think D-Link has some moderately-priced semi-business-grade wireless APs.

Cisco doesn't have any SMB N APs.

NETGEAR has the WNAP210.

You really have more selection using consumer routers and converting to an AP.

If I were a little more forward looking, and better funded, I might prefer something that was POE capable. I was would like to run more of my office via a larger POE switch in order to consolidate and extend my UPS arrangement.

Interesting - this is the first time I've come across a suggestion that Gigabit Ethernet can be used with PoE; forgive my ignorance if this is common knowledge! What I will say is though, in my hunt for a PoE solution, I discovered that D-Link's power socket is oddly shaped and I've yet to find a prong that fits, despite visiting every nearby Radioshack and electrical specialty store.

FWIW, though I love my DIR-655 running an older stable firmware dearly, once the final N gear starts shipping, I'll be looking to replace with a dual-band device. There's too much interference here in the 2.4GHz space, and connection drop outs were much less frequent when I had an a/b network running some years ago.

once the final N gear starts shipping, I'll be looking to replace with a dual-band device.
Since all draft 11n gear was grandfathered into "final" status, "final gear is already / has already been shipping.

If you mean products that support the optional features, I don't know that they are worth waiting for.

Since all draft 11n gear was grandfathered into "final" status, "final gear is already / has already been shipping.

If you mean products that support the optional features, I don't know that they are worth waiting for.

That's a nice way to handle the mess that arose from the Draft-G to final G...

The optional feature that interests me most is the STBC, given that my wireless network is used almost exclusively for handheld devices. Once these devices or their successors migrate to N, I'd like them to work the minimum of fuss. 3x3 spatial streams may be more useful down the line, too.

That's a nice way to handle the mess that arose from the Draft-G to final G...
True. But with 3+ years of "field testing", N is much more stable than G was with its relatively short "draft" period.

The optional feature that interests me most is the STBC, given that my wireless network is used almost exclusively for handheld devices. Once these devices or their successors migrate to N, I'd like them to work the minimum of fuss. 3x3 spatial streams may be more useful down the line, too.
Well, there's one client device (Atheros reference adapter) with STBC so far. And no 3 stream devices, at least that I can tell. The WFA Certification database doesnt' let you search on # of streams...