What's new

New wireless router - not too expensive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strubbly

New Around Here
Grateful for any advice.

I used an Asus RT-N66U for many more or less trouble-free years with John's firmware. But times move on - I have FTTP from a new ISP and it came with a shiny new router. But I suspect the shininess is skin-deep only: I'm now getting some regular dropouts when using Zoom and gaming even over my wired connection and I blame the router - seems more likely to be that than the fibre. Maybe it's time to buy a proper replacement.

So the main requirement is stable and totally reliable wired forwarding. Not even at high speeds - consistency and low latency is what's needed. Everything else is secondary. Obviously reasonably good wireless coverage is useful but I have a wired connection to a second AP in the house so I think that doesn't need to be anything too special. Similarly I'd like to hope for a reasonable lifetime of security updates - and/or an upgrade path to an open firmware, but in practice, as long as I get few good years out of it ... I don't need QoS or VPNs or fancy features.

I'm inclined towards an Asus and I see the RT-AX86U recommended. But that seems quite a lot of money for my rather basic requirements. I'm willing to pay for a good quality CPU if it guarantees the forwarding performance but I'm sure that's overkill. Maybe I should be looking at one of the cheaper ones in the Merlin supported models.

Any suggestions?

I see the RT-AX86U recommended

Go for the current updated hardware version RT-AX86U Pro instead.

This router just received the new Asuswrt 5.0 firmware with new features:

Any suggestions?

RT-AX86U Pro is the cheapest model compatible with Asuswrt 5.0 and it will perhaps have longer support.

As pointed out above, the RT-AX86U Pro might be your best bet, even though the price isn't super low. That said, the GT-AX6000 and the RT-AX88U Pro are sometimes the same price or cheaper, which makes it worth keeping an eye out on those two models as well.

What router did your ISP provide? FTTP isn't a guarantee for perfect internet, far from it, especially with third party services like what you've described. However, it does in general provide a more stable connection, but keep in mind that anything past your ISP, they have no control over and it might just be something outside of their network that is affecting you.

The Pro models from Asus do look like the best bet right now in terms of support.

VPN is actually one of those handy things that I didn't think I needed either, until I set it up and realised I can access my NAS from anywhere with an internet connection and it doesn't cost me any monthly fee.

The lower-end Asus models sadly have pretty meh hardware and it's unknown how long they'll be supported. The weird tri-core Cortex-A7 CPU's from Broadcom in them are very old tech by now and personally I couldn't recommend them to anyone.

There's the TUF-AX6000 as well, which sadly isn't much cheaper either, but it's not supported by Merlin.
Alternatively the TUF-AX4200, as both are based on the same MediaTek platform with a decent quad-core SoC.
Both are seeing regular updates from Asus.

If the budget is tight I would look at TUF Gaming AX3000 V2. Currently £88 on Amazon UK*. GNUton Asuswrt-Merlin fork is available for it. It's an RT-AX3000 V2 with different marketing and usually on excellent sale price. For basic needs may do well even with stock Asuswrt features. A bit ugly yellow skin WebUI, but acceptable. 🤭

1715613730395.png

* - @strubbly mentioned BT in one of the previous posts.

Go for the current updated hardware version RT-AX86U Pro instead.

This router just received the new Asuswrt 5.0 firmware with new features:

RT-AX86U Pro is the cheapest model compatible with Asuswrt 5.0 and it will perhaps have longer support.

@Tech9 is spot on. Go for the AX86U Pro! $208.83 on Amazon.

If the budget is tight I would look at TUF Gaming AX3000 V2. Currently £88 on Amazon UK*. GNUton Asuswrt-Merlin fork is available for it. It's an RT-AX3000 V2 with different marketing and usually on excellent sale price. For basic needs may do well even with stock Asuswrt features. A bit ugly yellow skin WebUI, but acceptable. 🤭

View attachment 58683
That's still using the quickly aging Cortex-A7 CPU cores though.

Yes sorry - additional information in the light of comments.

I am in the UK and the ISP is Plusnet; the router is the "Plusnet Hub Two" as specified here. The router specs look broadly fine but I know their software is not outstanding. I use Zoom a lot for work and I didn't used to see these dropouts on DSL (also with Plusnet) and using my old router. It could be the local FTTP aggregation (as provided by Openreach) but if so that's going to be very hard to trace and fix. I suspect the router because not much else has changed - I know that Plusnet use essentially the same backhaul for both DSL and FTTP. Though diagnosis is always tricky - perhaps something entirely else has got worse in the meantime.

Maybe I should fish my RT-N66U out of the garage and see if that fixes the zoom dropouts.

The AX86U Pro is indeed tempting though I suspect I will be paying for a lot of power and will end up using only a little of it.

Maybe I should fish my RT-N66U out of the garage

It may be all you need. Keep it behind the ISP provided gateway, call the ISP if you still have connection issues. You have better support chances when using provided by ISP gateway in router mode. With your own equipment behind modem only they'll blame your equipment no matter old or brand new.

Yes sorry - additional information in the light of comments.

I am in the UK and the ISP is Plusnet; the router is the "Plusnet Hub Two" as specified here. The router specs look broadly fine but I know their software is not outstanding. I use Zoom a lot for work and I didn't used to see these dropouts on DSL (also with Plusnet) and using my old router. It could be the local FTTP aggregation (as provided by Openreach) but if so that's going to be very hard to trace and fix. I suspect the router because not much else has changed - I know that Plusnet use essentially the same backhaul for both DSL and FTTP. Though diagnosis is always tricky - perhaps something entirely else has got worse in the meantime.

Maybe I should fish my RT-N66U out of the garage and see if that fixes the zoom dropouts.

The AX86U Pro is indeed tempting though I suspect I will be paying for a lot of power and will end up using only a little of it.
Looks like the GT-AX6000 is your best option price wise at a penny under 200 quid.
The TUF Gaming AX6000 is around 160 quid and the TUF Gaming AX4200 comes in at 126 quid.

The ISP provided hardware is far from cutting edge and it's apparently the same hardware as in the BT Smart Hub 2, which launched in 2018.

Plusnet used the be a pretty competent ISP, but that was a long time ago, sadly. Many of the good UK ISPs seems to have been taken over by big corporations that don't care about their customers.

Looks like the GT-AX6000 is your best option

I'm thinking about two GT-BE98 in Wi-Fi 7 backhaul AiMesh. Wall mounted with full RGB Aura lights on. Good upgrade for RT-N66U. Money come and go after all.

I'm thinking about two GT-BE98 in Wi-Fi 7 backhaul AiMesh. Wall mounted with full RGB Aura lights on. Good upgrade for RT-N66U. Money come and go after all.
Funny guy...

In the UK, the GT-AX6000 is cheaper than the RT-AX68U Pro...

@strubbly
Just came upun this thread now.
I bought an GT-AX6000 2 weeks ago from Amazon for £180(it just arrived yesterday) and currently Asus is running a promotion where you get £46 back for this device, bringing it down to £134.
I think Asus promotion runs out at the end of this month.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!

GL-Inet MT6000 is getting a lot of attention over in the OpenWRT land...

Good hardware, and good performance with stock/factory firmware...

@strubbly
Just came upun this thread now.
I bought an GT-AX6000 2 weeks ago from Amazon for £180(it just arrived yesterday) and currently Asus is running a promotion where you get £46 back for this device, bringing it down to £134.
I think Asus promotion runs out at the end of this month.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!
@Amwjuju - Have you got any links? I'm seeing £200 for the router and no cash back.

GL-Inet MT6000 is getting a lot of attention over in the OpenWRT land...

Good hardware, and good performance with stock/factory firmware...

Looks reasonable and I like the idea of OpenWRT.

It is not what I would do as I like a business network not an all-in-one router.

Looks reasonable and I like the idea of OpenWRT.

Mediatek and Qualcomm-Atheros have built their SDK's around OpenWRT... they're not actually mainline OpenWRT, as they have their own closed source drivers embedded within...

This is one of those things where running pfSense as the edge/gateway/firewall, and OpenWRT on the AP's might be a good thing - As long as one has supported HW...

Recently - the OpenWRT team has been taking on switch firmware for managed switches over on Master/Snapshots - now that DSA (Distributed Switch Architecture) has been ported across many of the supported chipsets, going into managed switch space isn't a high barrier to cross...