What's new

RT-AX56U capping Gigabit speeds at ~90Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archerm

New Around Here
I need some help with the settings on my router. I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to networks though, so despite my best attempt at finding a solution online, I've not been able to.

I have had my ISP send out engineers to the house to check the internet as I pay for Gigabit speeds but since the installation, have only been getting around 90Mbps download and upload.
My ISP is Onestream, who I believe use Vodafone in some capacity, sent out for an Openreach engineer to check things and they have confirmed that the speeds into the property were measured at ~900Mbps into the ONT, but as soon as I plug in my router, the speeds were capped at around 90Mbps. I've tried 3 separate Cat5e cables, and a Cat6 cable, to no avail.

I've updated the firmware on the model as much as possible. Current Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_51665

The only information I've been able to find on the Asus website doesn't help. It mostly suggests resetting the router, which I've done multiple times and nothing fixes the problem.

As I said, I'm very much a layman so perhaps there's some setting I've overlooked which needs to be updated on the router to make it capable of running fibre broadband at Gigabit speeds, but I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look at your WebGUI, System Status page, Status tab, Ethernet Ports.

1713201984317.png

1713201935747.png

If you see 100Mbps for the WAN port - this is your issue. Usually the cable.

1713202851561.png

I do see 100 Mbps, but I don't understand how it can be the cable if I've tested with 3 separate Cat5e cables and a Cat6 cable?

Edit: I just switched the cables around between the ONT and router (100 Mbps) and the one in LAN 1 to my PC (1 Gbps) and they're still showing the same. It's almost like the WAN port in the router itself is somehow capped to 100Mbps?

Last edited:
Your router is EOL. Time to replace it with something that is more secure and can actually handle 1Gbps speeds.

I'd be looking at the RT-AX88U Pro if you want a long(er) supported model that offers the best bang for the buck today (particularly when on sale).

Edit: I just switched the cables around between the ONT and router (100 Mbps) and the one in LAN 1 to my PC (1 Gbps) and they're still showing the same. It's almost like the WAN port in the router itself is somehow capped to 100Mbps?
Visually inspect the ethernet sockets on the router and the ONT. Look for dirty, corroded or bent contacts.

End of life? It's never been used! I bought it a couple of years ago but never took it out of the box until now. I can't afford to buy a new one and this one specifies that it should be able to handle Gigabit speeds.

Visually inspect the ethernet sockets on the router and the ONT. Look for dirty, corroded or bent contacts.
Not bent that I can't tell. Not sure if the far end ones are supposed to be higher up than the middle ones, though?

Attachments

• 20240415_191250.jpg
    20240415_191250.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 21
It's almost like the WAN port in the router itself is somehow capped to 100Mbps?

If the router was hit by lightning sometimes the damaged port gets stuck on 100Mbps indeed and it's usually the WAN port.

End of life?

Yes, this router is 2019 model and Asus decided to discontinue its support in 2023. It was a short lived entry-level router model.

I've uploaded a photo of the WAN port on the back of the router, above. Could the issue be with the two pins on either end? They appear not to be fully extended?
Yes that does look odd. The pin on the right of your picture in particular looks like it's pressed in too much. Compare that socket to the other LAN sockets. What do they look like?

Last edited:
I've taken a picture of the ONT and you can clearly see all pins are fully extended.
The same for the pins in the LAN ports.
Given that the router is right out the box, this seems to be a manufacturing fault.
Though given I bought it some time ago, I imagine it's doubtful that I'll get it repaired or replaced. Especially given what people are saying about this model being EOL now.
I won't be getting an ASUS for a replacement, I can tell you that much.

Attachments

• 20240415_191745.jpg
    20240415_191745.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 17
I've taken a picture of the ONT and you can clearly see all pins are fully extended.
The same for the pins in the LAN ports.
Given that the router is right out the box, this seems to be a manufacturing fault.
Though given I bought it some time ago, I imagine it's doubtful that I'll get it repaired or replaced. Especially given what people are saying about this model being EOL now.
I won't be getting an ASUS for a replacement, I can tell you that much.
I've had success in the past using a small pair of tweezers to pull those bent pins back into position. Try that.

If that doesn't work you can try reassigning one of the working LAN ports as a WAN port. Do that in the WAN - Dual WAN settings.
Untitled.png

I've had success in the past using a small pair of tweezers to pull those bent pins back into position. Try that.

If that doesn't work you can try reassigning one of the working LAN ports as a WAN port. Do that in the WAN - Dual WAN settings.
View attachment 57985
I couldn't fix it with tweezers but your suggestion of Dual WAN worked perfectly!
You are a scholar and a gentleman, Sir.

1713206295151.png

That doesn't solve the more pressing issue that your router is not supported (and leaving your network potentially exposed).

That doesn't solve the more pressing issue that your router is not supported (and leaving your network potentially exposed).
Given the cost of routers these days, that's an issue that can wait until a more convenient time when I'm more able to spend a few hundred pounds on getting something modern, lol.

Very unusual port damage. :(

Don't expose services to Internet and continue using your router as usual. It's secure enough in simple configuration.

Last edited:
Given the cost of routers these days, that's an issue that can wait until a more convenient time when I'm more able to spend a few hundred pounds on getting something modern, lol.

While I appreciate the budget restraints, waiting isn't an option if you value network security and the devices within.

Your first hint should have been with the date of this last firmware (almost a year ago today).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!