What's new

Spiritual successor to SmallNetBuilder for router reviews might be coming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I just noticed that RTINGS (well-known for their in depth monitor reviews) are working on doing router reviews. If they do the same depth of testing that they do with monitors, this might finally bring a replacement for SmallNetBuilder.

(fun fact: RTINGS are based here in Montreal)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they add real world testing scenarios and not pie in the sky rainbows and unicorns type testing that other reviews that “know best” do.

I hope they add real world testing scenarios and not pie in the sky rainbows and unicorns type testing that other reviews that “know best” do.
RTINGS have always been very methodical in their testing, so chances are good that they will do a thorough job there. Maybe not as in depth as SmallNetBuilders used to do with its RF chamber, but I'm sure it won't be just one of their editors installing the router at a random location at his house and checking the signal strength on his mobile phone while at random locations and positions within his home.

Wasn't that a paid site though where your allow 5 or so viewings before it hides the reviews?
That would be a recent change, it wasn't the case when I was shopping for a new monitor a few years ago.

Ad revenue being what it is in 2024, for a site doing that kind of in-depth resarch, I can understand the need to monetize it in a different way to be able to continue with their current in depth level of testing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!