What's new

Trying to confirm or dispel some rumors on .m2 Wifi 2230 cards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You typically won't under the QCA names. The link tends to show actual searchable products though. Sometimes though there are breadcrumbs you can pickup on based on PR's by setting up searches for keywords like google news. For instance there's about 3 different ways to find the WCN7851 which is the actual controller vs the marketed names. The MSI I mentioned is just another off shoot of the same card.

MTK/RTL options exist but typically don't perform as well or are hobbled in some way to make them cheaper for sale.

Defacto Intel options are always something that's a possibility depending on the card / CPU. As to the manual saying it supporting CNVIO it's probably a cut and paste job from the Intel version of the AMD board. It happens though not often and that's when you find out by trying it and driving yourself crazy when it doesn't work for any apparent reason. CNVIO was only released in the recent past by Intel and only throws a wrench into the mix when someone isn't paying attn or know that it's a hobbled option i.e. AX200 vs AX201 or X210/211 or AX411. The clue is the naming having the 1 at the end which will indicate it's a CNVIO option that won't work outside of Intel CPUs.
If I decide to do the MSI option at some point in time. I would probably want to pull the .m2 off the card and just hope that its fairly easy and that msi hasn't done anything to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Tried searching on the controller and just about nothing came back. I'm assuming more modules will be coming out down the line.

assuming more modules will be coming out down the line.
Everyone is still ramping up production since regulators have been passing release of spectrum slowly. No one wants to make 10 variants based on location and available spectrum. It's a matter of time before there are more options.

Not that it matters at this point but I'm not sure what you are looking at or reading. Also not sure if you own this board or not. I like the board, but again its basically a rebranded AsRock modified to NZXT specs.

CNVIO is specific to Intel chipsets

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 4.12.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 4.11.30 PM.png

If I decide to do the MSI option at some point in time. I would probably want to pull the .m2 off the card and just hope that its fairly easy and that msi hasn't done anything to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Tried searching on the controller and just about nothing came back. I'm assuming more modules will be coming out down the line.

Taking out the m2 is far easier than trying to replace the existing one on your motherboard. MSI is using qualcomm fastconnect 7800 and works on Intel and Amd builds.
It is a cheap option from a reliable supplier.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!