What's new

Type of fiber adapter needed with this??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n9nu

Occasional Visitor
Hi

My primary FTTH service from Metronet [w/ static IP] uses a patch cable from the wall outlet [inside] directly to a Nokia G240 ONT commonly used as a triple play unit...however i have just IPTV & Inet..no phone.That cable is yellow w/ a green plastic end as shown below. The first picture.

I have a switch with 4 LAN ports @ 2.5Gbit each as well as 2 SFP fiber ports for either RJ45 or fiber transceivers each with a 10Gbit capacity.

I have the following transceiver for fiber with a 1Gbit capacity and several fiber patch cables....all the same, however not exactly what I need .

What I need to know is what adapter OR cable to order to connect the ONT [the green/yellow connector] to this switch. The switch uses a slightly different connector than the ONT as you can see. The ONT/connection is used bt AT&T, Metronet, and several other providers.

One or two issue at a time for me so I'm starting with the elimination of the provided ONT and VEN.

My overall goal is to use my own hardware all togeather after I find out what IPTV protocol Metronet uses so I can ditch the Technicolor VEN501 which wirelessly transmits the TV signal to 2 STB'S. I will use either my Asus GT router or my Linux box running Zentynal or ClearOS to handle routing, gateway, firewall, and the IPTV via CAT 8 cable.

I'm old school and just don't like using WiFi for anything except for my phone.

Tim

ARS N9NU

Attachments

• 20240422_133443.jpg
    20240422_133443.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240422_132821.jpg
    20240422_132821.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240422_134034.jpg
    20240422_134034.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240422_134455.jpg
    20240422_134455.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16
One thing at a time is probably best!
Optical Network Terminals are mostly active devices that decode your data from a multiplexed stream, so they often cannot be removed (unlike Passive Optical Network devices). At least (I believe) the Nokia has a bridge mode, which means you can use your own router, but the switch would need to be downstream from the router not upstream from it.

The little throwaway line that the ONT function is built onto the SFP module - just any SFP module is probably not going to work where you need ONT functionality. Also, I doubt it breaches the ToS doing this!!

As far I know there are 2 types of fiber multi-mode and single mode and then you need to match up the fiber diameter and distance.