What's new

What to do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JEofMPK

Regular Contributor
I have 2 locations. One is currently using T Mobile Home Internet with the ASUS XT9 AX7800 (2 node mesh). The other location has “fibre 2000M” but a TP Link AC 1750 router. So I need a new router. Would you recommend getting a single XT9 or the ASUS RT-AXE7800 Tri-band WiFi 6E? Sooner or later I will no longer use the 2nd location and the new router will be added to the existing mesh system. Will the XT9 play well with the RT-AXE if it joins the mesh as a 3rd node?

The first location is a big house with lots of IOT items, cams and PC hardware. The 2nd location is a small apartment with maybe a total of 10 devices that need Internet. XT 9 cost is $200 RT-AXE is $244, both on AMZN. Both are steep in price to me but I am willing to spend if I get performance, especially at location 2.

The 2nd location is a small apartment with maybe a total of 10 devices that need Internet.

Now many need 2Gbps Internet speed, now many are wired, now many are AX and how many support 6GHz band?

Answer the questions for yourself and you have the answer what do you need there. You perhaps need nothing better than the existing router.

Now many need 2Gbps Internet speed, now many are wired, now many are AX and how many support 6GHz band?

Answer the questions for yourself and you have the answer what do you need there. You perhaps need nothing better than the existing router.
Its prob overkill for location 2. But for location 1, either would be beneficial. They seem similar spec (to a layperson like me) but is the 6E worth it? Will the antennas be beneficial over internal antennas when used at location 2? Will a 6R router play well with the XT9s where are WIFI 6 only when moved to location 1? Is the current $44 extra for the RT AXE 7800 worth it?

skip the AXE7800 weak cpu and low on memory , not worth the money . Big house is a term that does not mean much house construction and size would result in better advice . Both my houses get full coverage using a single router . . Good luck

Thanks all. Again the qustion is not on product selection. I will for sure consider your views on that. But please respond to:

Mixing RT-AXE7800 triband with 2 XT9 7800 triband as a mesh system​

I am thiking of adding an ASUS RT-AXE which is 6E to the ASUS XT9's which are 6. Will this play well? RT AXE would be the main router. Do I lose my wireless backhaul as a result of doing this?

Do I lose my wireless backhaul as a result of doing this?

You'll lose the dedicated wireless backhaul.

XT9 - 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 5GHz
AXE - 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 6GHz

If you dedicate 5GHz radio on both units for backhaul where your 5GHz clients are going to connect to the AXE unit?

Don't do this mess of radios on different bands. It effectively eliminates tri-band XT9 advantages for dedicated wireless backhaul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!