What's new

Would like to see more routers with 8+ ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mutzli

Very Senior Member
Hopefully, Asus is announcing a Pro version of the RT-BE88U that supports the 6GHz band at this year's Computex next month. Now this would make a great candidate for proper Merlin support.

Hopefully, Asus is announcing a Pro version of the RT-BE88U that supports the 6GHz band at this year's Computex next month. Now this would make a great candidate for proper Merlin support.
That's the already existing RT-BE96U.

There's already more than enough models available.

That's the already existing RT-BE96U.

Yes, but the RT-BE96U has a measly 4 LAN ports while the RT-BE88U offers 8. It means I would also have to buy a LAN switch.

From experience, the 4 LAN port option is more than likely the superior (i.e. more stable) option.

a measly 4 LAN ports
The market is moving toward fewer Ethernet ports, not more. A lot of products these days only offer one or two LAN ports. The fact that Asus offers even one model with 8 ports is exceptionnal. I think it's unlikely there would be a market for yet another model with 8 ports. As I have said so often, Asus has already way, way too many different models, which causes a lot of user confusion, and probably hurts their ability to provide more frequent software updates since all of these models have to go through QA on a separate basis.

I would also have to buy a LAN switch.
Which is the way to go, and generally makes more sense. I only use one port on my own router, and everything is connected to the switch. That way if the router gets rebooted, my LAN devices don't all lose connection between themselves and my NAS, for example.

Which is the way to go, and generally makes more sense.

I like Archer BE550 (5x 2.5GbE) and Archer BE800 (2x10GbE + 4x2.5GbE) configuration. Makes more sense to me for 2024 and Wi-Fi 7 product.

Yes, but the RT-BE96U has a measly 4 LAN ports while the RT-BE88U offers 8. It means I would also have to buy a LAN switch.

If you can afford an RT-BE96U you can afford the measly amount for a LAN switch

And yet, I hope they will offer a vertical router, like the 86 type, for wifi7 at some point.

If you can afford an RT-BE96U you can afford the measly amount for a LAN switch
The price delta between the RT-BE96U (US$682) with an additional 4 port 2.5G/10G switch (Trendnet TEG-S762 US$150) and the RT-BE88U (~$500) is about $330.

Last edited:
an additional 4 port 2.5G/10G switch (Trendnet TEG-S762 $150)
The four extra ports on the RT-BE88U are only 1 Gbps. So, that'd be far less than $150 to match it, more like $20-$30.

Make that around $80 if you want to go 2.5 Gbps.

The price delta between the RT-BE96U ($682) with an additional 4 port 2.5G/10G switch (Trendnet TEG-S762 $150) and the RT-BE88U (~$500) is about $330.

That is a nice switch I was looking at it before however it cost abit more than $150 but I agree with Merlin that a 4 port router and this switch should cover most people.

1714752086243.png

Last edited:
What you listed is indeed cheaper

but that is the price I see for the Trendnet TEG-S762 on amazon in CAD also maybe the $150 he listed was in USD

But I would assume either one should be good.
The Trendnet switch on Amazon Canada is $209 CAD, and it has fewer ports than the two that I listed. The $139 CAD one has 8x 2.5 Gbps + 1 SFP, and it also offers PoE.

If you don't care about the 10 Gbps link, then the $98 CAD one I listed has twice the number of ports of the Trendnet, at half the price.

The Trendnet switch on Amazon Canada is $209 CAD, and it has fewer ports than the two that I listed. The $139 CAD one has 8x 2.5 Gbps + 1 SFP, and it also offers PoE.

If you don't care about the 10 Gbps link, then the $98 CAD one I listed has twice the number of ports of the Trendnet, at half the price.
That is very good point.

ServeTheHome did a video reviewing all these numeros inexpensives alternatives. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I expect it to be fairly informative:

So far I have been fully satisfiied with my Mokerlink (which was already very popular on Amazon) and Vimin (no issue so far providing PoE to my IP phone, and routing traffic to my whole PC setup).

The market is moving toward fewer Ethernet ports, not more. A lot of products these days only offer one or two LAN ports. The fact that Asus offers even one model with 8 ports is exceptionnal. I think it's unlikely there would be a market for yet another model with 8 ports

Most of the consumer Router/AP chipsets/SoC's I've seen have 5 ports for the internal switch... used to be one for WAN, and the rest for everything else.

Most of the consumer routers I've seen with more than 4 ports, there's another discrete switch in place...

My thoughts align with Merlin's: as long as the router has enough LAN ports, that's sufficient. If more physical network expansion is needed, a switch can be used. I chose a second-hand 24-port managed switch; it's cost-effective and allows easy network management, providing connections for my NAS, router, and ESXi, creating my own Homelab.

1714882831873.png

The inexpensive second-hand HP switches are said to have a lifetime warranty and are very stable. The best part is that they're quite affordable, costing only $40-50 USD. I bought several units of similar managed models for my own use.

1714883282121.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!