What's new

WRT1900AC handshake issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mercador

New Around Here
Hello! Perhaps one of you will be my wireless network savior who knows :) I have a weird issue with my router (WRT1900AC) and some of my wifi appliances (Pixel 6, Garmin Watch). When I open an app over my wifi connection, it takes minutes to get an handshake or I simply get a timeout. The solution is to desactivate the wifi, go LTE and then go back to wifi and it works. Once connected, the wifi connection is good, speedtest are normal. It's been 2 years I got that issue but I always found a way to circumvent it. I thought it was the Pixel 6 so I made a full reinitialization last weekend and I still got the issue. If I use another mobile phone as hotspot, I don't have any issue, so I'm pretty sure the issue is with the Wifi. The issue is more important now that I got a Tesla and it takes ages to get connected to the car. Moreover, the Garmin Watch isn't able to connect to the wireless router anymore. Laptops connections are fine, no issues there. I'm running stock software on the WRT1900AC, lastest firmware, my next solution would be to install DDWRT or any other custom firmware. But I'm pretty sure it's a simple setting that mess everything up but I'm not enough wireless-savvy to know what could it be.

Settings :
Wireless speed : 5Ghz
Security : WPA2
Wifi mode : A/N only
Channel : 48 - 5.240ghz
Width : 40Mhz

Wired connections are correct and stable.

Any idea is welcome, I'm sure it's just a simple setting but I don't get it. Once connected, everything is fine, it's really the handshake part that takes too much time as which point it can timeout.

Thanks a lot!

Hello! Perhaps one of you will be my wireless network savior who knows :) I have a weird issue with my router (WRT1900AC) and some of my wifi appliances (Pixel 6, Garmin Watch). When I open an app over my wifi connection, it takes minutes to get an handshake or I simply get a timeout. The solution is to desactivate the wifi, go LTE and then go back to wifi and it works. Once connected, the wifi connection is good, speedtest are normal. It's been 2 years I got that issue but I always found a way to circumvent it. I thought it was the Pixel 6 so I made a full reinitialization last weekend and I still got the issue. If I use another mobile phone as hotspot, I don't have any issue, so I'm pretty sure the issue is with the Wifi. The issue is more important now that I got a Tesla and it takes ages to get connected to the car. Moreover, the Garmin Watch isn't able to connect to the wireless router anymore. Laptops connections are fine, no issues there. I'm running stock software on the WRT1900AC, lastest firmware, my next solution would be to install DDWRT or any other custom firmware. But I'm pretty sure it's a simple setting that mess everything up but I'm not enough wireless-savvy to know what could it be.

Settings :
Wireless speed : 5Ghz
Security : WPA2
Wifi mode : A/N only
Channel : 48 - 5.240ghz
Width : 40Mhz

Wired connections are correct and stable.

Any idea is welcome, I'm sure it's just a simple setting but I don't get it. Once connected, everything is fine, it's really the handshake part that takes too much time as which point it can timeout.

Thanks a lot!
Try changing the control channel to 36 or some other non DFS channel. Also if you have the option set bandwidth to 20/40/80 and see if that makes any difference and your wireless mode auto versus your current A/N setting.

On it. Also, Steam Deck is fine (linux). I wonder if it's the Pixel that have an issue with certain application. I tried a Pixel 7a and got the same issue; when configuring it, it said that the network is too slow to configure the mobile phone... The network is plenty fast.

Hold on. Something has changed, it's really faster now... Telsa app is responsive as well... Only Garmin app is still icky, but that's perhaps because the watch allow only 2.4ghz?

Try changing the control channel to 36 or some other non DFS channel. Also if you have the option set bandwidth to 20/40/80 and see if that makes any difference and your wireless mode auto versus your current A/N setting.
I couldn't said which one fix it but after switching all three and reconnecting the cellphone to the wifi network, there's a net amelioration. Still, when I don't use the mobile for a while, it looks like it takes some time to "wake up" the wifi chip, I guess it's the mobile phone more than the wifi though. It's still difficult to access my watch, I notice on the mobile phone that it requires me to reboot the watch but I've always got this message, I guess there's some incompatibility with the watch and the mobile phone... It's the only app that I still have issues.

Nonetheless, a noticeable amelioration, thank you very much!