What's new

Yet another question about VLAN w/ RT-AX88U Pro in AP mode.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mbze430

Regular Contributor
I own a RT-AX88U Pro and recently update the firmware and wanted to use the VLAN feature. Normally with any SMB AP product, it is a slam dunk easy config. But I am not sure about these ASUS consumer APs.

Here is the topology of my network (simplified)
1713973460911.png

Questions:

1) In AP mode, under the LAN tab I can set an IP for it. All my management is in VLAN 254. So my question is, can I set it as such? If not, I was thinking using a Trunk + Native Vlan... ie: set the trunk link as All Packet (or whatever the actual name is) on the AX88U Pro and then on the L2 switch set it for switchport mode trunk, and add 100,200,300 and then native vlan 254.... will that work? if it does here is my 2nd problem

2a) When setting up a main SSID... but there is no way to give it a VLAN (at least I haven't found a way) so I assume the main SSID will come out untagged. I couldn't find a way to tag the main ssid wifi. (I even tried to go into the Guest Network Pro tab to create the same SSID hoping it would "fool it". It just made another SSID with the same name with a different MAC address.

2b) or I would have to setup AX88U Pro LAN and Main SSID on VLAN 100 untagged so the L2 switch would be switchport mode trunk, add 200,300 and then native vlan 100....?

3) is there a secret way to make this all work in the CLI shell? Or I am just asking for trouble or what these AP can really do?

Last edited:
Why don't you get a proper business class AP for your setup? This is a consumer router with perpetual beta firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!