What's new

802.3ad wireless router w/unmanaged switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

krazyderek

New Around Here
I work for a small design office and i'm the self proclaimed IT guy for lack of anyone else that know's the difference between and bit and Byte.

We currently use a DIR-655 for connected to our broadband cable internet, and pair of dlink DGS-1008D 8-port 10/100/1000 switch's to give us enough ports for the workstations, and printers.

I've done some basic setup to help maximize remote desktop for teleworking using port rules for the QoS, and DMZ for a linux FTP server, as nothing "behind" the firewall worked with any regularity.

The only thing our current setup is severely lacking is bandwidth control as we get a couple of people streaming video's or downloading large content that really shouldn't be prioritized before things like remote desktop and file saving (think large adobe images, and 3D models) for real work.

Going forward i'd like to setup a new file server using a dual or quad GLAN interface (asus P5Q Premium mobo) in load balancing mode and thus need to upgrade the network equipment to support this feature. Some of the workstations also already support "teaming".

Question is what do i need? Obviously we'd like to reuse any equipment we can since it's all gigabit, and we use the wireless component frequently for part time staff and light duty work.

I've found some information on this site, but honestly i'm just having trouble getting started and putting all the peice's together.
Do i just need one managed switch to plug my other existing switch's into and it will manage all of them? Do i need a new router with bandwith control and "trunking" or "teaming" (802.3ad) which can then control my existing switch's, then would i simply disable DHCP on my current wireless router and just reuse that as a wireless access point & third switch?

Currently:
DIR-655
DGS-1008D 8-port 10/100/1000
DGS-1008D 8-port 10/100/1000

Need:
Bandwidth monitor & control
Load balancing or "teaming" support for new server

Any help is appreciated,

Some of the products i've looked at are the
Netgear GSM7224NA 24 Port Managed GB as a catch all solution that would just plug into the existing router, but this wouldn't be able to help manage wireless bandwidth.

Cisco SRW2008 8-port Managed GB again this would be ideal if it supports the "dynamic" load balancing, and if we could expand the port count with our existing switch's, and then plug that whole thing into the existing wireless router. But again, the same drawback of not being able to monitor / control wireless bandwidth going to the internet.

Those were good articles.

I guess i'm leaning more towards the pfsense as it has more control options and a live graph to help me track down hogs i may have missed.

Ultimately i guess the answer to my question is no, i can't reuse the old switch's if i want 802.3ad, and i can't reuse my DIR 655 for anything but a wireless AP if i want real bandwidth control.