What's new

A Dummy Wants to Watch Security Cam Video on his PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Curmudgeon10

Occasional Visitor
I have existing outlets under the eaves on two ends of the house, ideal for camera locations. I purchased a LaView "light bulb" camera and paired it up with my phone, and it appears to provide all the functionality I need. I'm not looking for a lot --- just DAYTIME views at each end of the house. But what I really want is to be able to view this video in my home office, on my PC.

I've been searching and can't seem to find a solution that I'm capable of implementing. I have set up my own home network, using range extenders and WAPs; I know what IPs are and can configure a router, but that's about the extent of my expertise.

Running ethernet cables is not possible. I do have very strong wifi at the locations. Is there a way to get that video onto my PC? Right now, I'm limiting my hardware choices to cameras that I can easily screw into the E27 outlet, but I could go with something different if it would make the video-to-PC goal easier to obtain. Any ideas?

Have you tried logging in to the cameras using a web browser? Just type in the IP address of the cameras and you should end up at a login page which should allow you to access the cameras. At least that's how most IP cameras work.

I used FING to survey my network and it identified 23 devices. I recognize 9 of them from their descriptive names, but none of the remaining 14; they are all labeled "generic" by the app. I've typed those IPs into Firefox, but I always get an "Unable to connect" error message.

The LaView App has this entry under "Device Information:" IP 73.201.225.* This where my knowledge of what I am doing runs out.

I used FING to survey my network and it identified 23 devices. I recognize 9 of them from their descriptive names, but none of the remaining 14; they are all labeled "generic" by the app. I've typed those IPs into Firefox, but I always get an "Unable to connect" error message.

The LaView App has this entry under "Device Information:" IP 73.201.225.* This where my knowledge of what I am doing runs out.
That's not a local IP address. That suggests they use some kind of external server to send the data to, before sending it back to the mobile app. This is a pretty common way of doing things.

I don't know which port they use, as it seems like they're not using port 80 which is the default web access port.

One way to figure out which devices they are on the network is to look up the mac address and then find that in the list in the Fing app.

Random thing, I used to work for the company that bought and later sold Fing and I helped developed the first gen fingbox.

Last edited:
My Lightbulb camera lacks an ethernet port. It's just Wifi. So the instructions at the link might not be appropriate. On the YouTube video, I would like to try the scan they suggest, but I've no idea how to locate the referenced QR code on the website.

The challenge with any WiFi based camera is WiFi deauthentication - which might be an issue while the camera CPU's try to sort things out...

That's probably the last thing one has to worry about when someone is bashing down your door...

From a security perspective, always better to use wired cameras and a dedicated NVR - it's not that expensive - an 8 camera setup with an NVR without subscription can be as low as $319USD...

My Lightbulb camera lacks an ethernet port. It's just Wifi. So the instructions at the link might not be appropriate. On the YouTube video, I would like to try the scan they suggest, but I've no idea how to locate the referenced QR code on the website.
Ethernet or WiFi doesn't matter as long as the device is connected to your network and has an IP address.

The challenge with any WiFi based camera is WiFi deauthentication - which might be an issue while the camera CPU's try to sort things out...

That's probably the last thing one has to worry about when someone is bashing down your door...

From a security perspective, always better to use wired cameras and a dedicated NVR - it's not that expensive - an 8 camera setup with an NVR without subscription can be as low as $319USD...

It's not practical to run Ethernet cables to the two locations of these cameras. I have not much concern about using cameras to record the bashing down of my door. I merely want an ability to see what is going on around my home during daylight hours while I am in my home office, where I have multiple screens (and not tiny ones).

Click a model to generate a URL for your Laview camera:
Main rtsp://IPAddress:5543/live/channel0 ?
Substream rtsp://IPAddress:5543/live/channel1 ?

Might not even support rtsp. Likely has zero security (anyone can view).

Once you get this up and running you want to record. Then you will want night viewing. Then "monitoring" will become "security." Then when you finally need your system, it will have failed for some reason. Invest in better cameras and run PoE.

If you have an old PC or a Raspberry Pi 3B+ or better you can set up Zoneminder with which you should be able to monitor your cam and even record video. Zoneminder requires Linux of some flavor and there are install procedures on the Zoneminder WIKI for Ubuntu and Debian that are almost easy to use. I've used Zoneminder for years at home and several business. And the cost is free!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!