What's new

Advice on Home network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ct1615

Regular Contributor
I "cut the cord" on our cable setup and could use some advice on my current network set up. ISP is optimum with a 50mbs down / 25mbs up package.

We live in a townhouse, 1500 sqft not including basement and garage. Three bedrooms upstairs with the master bedroom over the garage. I have the following setup; in the family room which sits underneath the two back bed rooms (opposite end of the townhouse from the garage) I have our modem hooked up to an ASUS N66U wi-fi router. From the wifi router I have two Ethernet connections, one to a Roku 2 and another to a TP-Link AV600 powerline adapter. The Roku 2 streams mostly Playstation Vue cable channels, HBO, netflix to a 1080p TV.

In the basement I have two computers, my main computer uses a N900 dual band PCI card. The second computer is hardly used but has a 300mbs PCI card. Both computers sit practically underneath the wi-fi router.

Upstairs in the master bedroom (furthest from the wi-fi router) we have the second TP-Link AV600 adapter running an Ethernet cable to a second Roku2 streaming the same apps as mentioned above but this time to a 720p TV. We also have two android smart phones and two amazon fire tablets.

I ran the Speedtest app on my rokus and amazon fire tablets for a week straight at various times of the day. Often the main TV was streaming Playstation Vue channels (wife and kids don't share my interest in wi-fi speeds).

In the family room Wi-fi speeds were 40-65mbs depending on the time of day.
In the upstairs back bedrooms, wi-fi speeds were 30-45mbs depending on the time of day.
The master bedroom roku 2 (using the powerline adapter) shows 20-29mbs depending on the time of day.

Issues
Wi-fi in the bedroom shows 1-3mbs, I believe our neighbor who shares a wall with us has her wi-fi router in her bedroom. I receive a half dozen wi-fi signals in our home and her signal stream is at max level in our master bedroom.
Sometimes the playstation vue channels get stuck in a buffering freeze on Fridays (I think this is an upstream issue as it only pertains to certain channels).

Questions
I have a spare Netgear WNR2500 wi-fi router, does it make sense making it an access point in our master bedroom?
Would it make more sense to step up to a 1200 or 1750 AC router from TP-link or Asus to replace the N900 router?
Would it make sense to step up to AV1200 powerline adapters?
I would like to drop our internet speed to 25mbs down as the cost of 50 is double their own advertising cost thanks to no other competition in our area. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!