What's new

AIMesh node vs Access Point mode / AIMesh Router in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

Can someone provide a link to an article or post (I’ve looked) or give an explanation of the technical difference between these settings?

I have 3 routers connected in a mesh with Ethernet Backhaul Mode set. Having some possible issues and thought about setting up as AIMesh in AP mode but wanted to be clear on the technical differences.

No sense doing it if there’s little difference.

Do you have 2 separate options, one for AP and one for Aimesh AP? I think there is just AP and it works just any AP config. There is no configuration simplicity like Aimesh,at least not in my AX86U.

Main router will be in Wireless Router mode for both below

Ethernet Connected AiMesh nodes: All settings controlled from the main router. Same SSID, chanel and bandwidth across all devices (bandwidth and channel will be set by the lowest capable device). USB apps can be set for each device. Upgrades controled from the router. Network Map in router will show if clients are connected via WIFI or Ethernet.

Ethernet Connectec AP's: Settings and upgrades controlled at each individual device. Each device can have individual SSID's or the same SSID. Channel and bandwidth controlled at each device. Network Map shows all clients connected to AP's as Ethernet connected.

I've run both scenarios and feel for my application AiMesh is better. However, I feel it is more reliable by not enabling Ethernet Backhaul Mode.

Having some possible issues

I've read about your issues. I told you about the free beta tester membership coming with this setup. After you have enough switch to SMB gear.

I've read about your issues. I told you about the free beta tester membership coming with this setup. After you have enough switch to SMB gear.
I hear you. As I told you, I want simple off the shelf consumer solutions that my wife can simply reboot if there are issues. I don’t want to manage a complicated network at home long term.

Just want to understand more about all the AIMesh options. It’s proprietary and not documented very well or with detail.

What does AP in AIMesh mode get me above straight AP or straight AIMesh?

What does AP in AIMesh mode get me above straight AP or straight AIMesh?

An AP is wired.

An Extender/Repeater is wireless... WiFi is shared with backhaul and clients... performance is less with shared WiFi.

You can configure either of these directly yourself, or let AiMesh do it by adding wired/wireless nodes.

You can decide which implementation works best for your network.

OE

Last edited:
An AP is wired.

An Extender/Repeater is wireless... WiFi is shared with backhaul and clients... performance is less with shared WiFi.

You can configure either of these directly yourself, or let AiMesh do it by adding wired/wireless nodes.

You can decide which implementation works best for your network.

OE
Maybe I’m just overthinking this.

The mesh nodes are wired. Ethernet Backhaul Mode is already enabled as posted. Not trying to do wireless between the mesh nodes and router.

For some reason there is a setting for AIMesh Node and also a setting for AIMesh Router in AP Mode. If the only difference is wired backhaul, then I guess I already have that now.

For some reason there is a setting for AIMesh Node and also a setting for AIMesh Router in AP Mode. If the only difference is wired backhaul, then I guess I already have that now.

AiMesh can be used in AP Mode:

non-AiMesh LAN <wire> AiMesh router in AP Mode (aka a wired AP controlling downstream AiMesh nodes) <wire/wireless> AiMesh nodes

OE

As I told you, I want simple off the shelf consumer solutions

You may have to wait for some more stable firmware then. Asus is at the beginning of 3.0.0.6 series firmware for this router. The rest Pro and newer GT models still wait and there was a theory Asus is using RT-AX88U Pro as a test platform before releasing something more stable for all supported models. Have patience and it will start working better at some point. This is normal for consumer products. You have an option to roll back firmware to 3.0.0.4 base with current Asuswrt-Merlin and test again.

I'm still confused AP or AIMesh AP are one option in my AX86U, not separate options. Are they separate options in other routers?

1714681566831.png

It's the same thing. You can connect AiMesh nodes to an Asus router in AP Mode.
Right, but then what exactly is AIMesh? It's just an AP like any other AP. Must be configured independently from the router and you can't see any info about the AP in the router interface.

This is how I have my setup after having too many problems wAIMesh, My router is AX86U Pro and my AX86U is a wired AP. There is no AIMesh functionality at all

what exactly is AIMesh?

Marketing name of wired access points and wireless repeaters with non user configurable VLAN for Guest Network. Other vendors call units Main and Satellite.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!